Did you mean: 

BT Wholesale broadband speed test not working

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: BT Wholesale broadband speed test not working

Hi @Leapy,

You've got an external phone fault on your line which is affecting your speeds. I've raised this for you here.

Best wishes

Dave

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Just as an FYI/Polite request for everyone else:

I can see that this thread has started life as a discussion of the foibles of BTW's speed checker, but has at times moved towards more specific reports of slow speed/connection issues.

If you're struggling with your connection and you would like a staff member to take a look at this for you, could you please create a new thread so that your help requests doesn't get lost in the general discussion?

Appreciated

Dave

fwdlink
Dabbler

HI Folks, in the past BTW speed test worked fine for me, however the last 3 weeks, across all of my household PC's I get the dreaded "Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."

I've tried Chrome, Edge and IE browsers, all the same, turned off firewalls the works....

Looking through the pages here I don't see any silver bullet to fix, so checking in, am I missing something here?  Trying to get to see my IP profile but no dice....

Thoughts?

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Interesting upload speed on BT test

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Interesting upload speed on BT test

Moderators Note

Topics merged. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Interesting upload speed on BT test

Same old, same old for me, ever since this thread started over a year ago - download speed about right, upload speed an entirely fictitious (for ADSL) 2.05 Mbps.

TAP1 test works (usually.) 

I suppose given that the DL speed appears to be reported fairly accurately the test does serve its purpose as far as Plusnet's fault diagnostics are concerned, but it hardly inspires confidence overall...

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

An interesting comparison

Both speed tests in the same minute

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: An interesting comparison

Moderators Note
Topics merged..

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Shackman205
Rising Star

Over the last few months my download speeds have been steadily dropping (already ticketed and under investigation). At the request of tech support I ran a BTW speed check on 10 Jan with no problem - and never had a problem up till then - but since then I can't access the web page at all using any of my browsers - all I get is xxxx can't establish a connection to the server at speedtest.btwholesale.com. Any thoughts please

conrad
Hooked

This is the new link   https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

The old link which you have probably bookmarked was http://....etc.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Saw a briefing about the URL change and I'm really confused why they didn't just server redirect to the HTTPS address Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Cerberos
Rising Star

I have been having a few issues with intermittant slowness on my connection - running speedtests on the Which website and on speedtest.net show what I would expect, download of about 35Mbps and upload around 8 Mbps.

Bt Wholesale speedtest initially showed download of 8 Mbps, up load of 14Mbps which is totally wrong.

I ran the Tap 1 test and it showed my line profile as having an upload speed of 10Mbps - I pay for 38?

I did the sensible thing and rebooted the BT Modem.

From then on, the BT wholesale test shows a download speed of zero, upload speed of 6Mbps and the Further Diagnostic/Tap 1 test returns an error.

So I am no nearer  diagnosing my intermittant speed issues.

Finaly getting to my questions - should  the BTW speedtest work on my FTC connection or is it defunct?

Is speedtest.net a reliable indication of my connection speed?

How do I confirm my line profile without the BTW test?

Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Cerberos,

Thank you for contacting us.

Answering the questions you have asked;

1. The BTW test works on both FTTC and ADSL
  2. Yes, the results will fluctuate and they tend to be more accurate using the BTW Speed Test facility
  3. The only way of confirming this will be with a BTW Speed Test; If you wish we can arrange for tests to be completed so we can confirm your line profile.

Let us know if you want these tests to be completed. Furthermore, please could you confirm if the tests are being completed using a wired or wireless connection? and if there is only one device connected to the router at the time these tests are being completed?

Mardler
Rising Star

Sorry, BTW is notoriously unreliable.

Instead use Ookla and thinkbroadband.

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi @Mardler 

Yes BTW is unreliable but if you have problems with your speed PN will only work on the BTW results not Ookla, thinkbroadband or others.