joneshollies

Re: BT Wholesale broadband speed test not working

My problem exactly !

Is there a fix ?

Other Speed Tests working fine.

conrad
Hooked

No fix as yet - may be a while as BT adjustments to any of their computer systems take time and the initial results can be extremely flaky based on personal experience.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Just tried again, for the purpose of checking.

I got the normal, yet incorrect figures, for the first part.

Download Speed(Mbps): 23.78 Mbps

Upload Speed(Mbps) : 2.61 Mbps

Ping Latency(ms): 78 ms

Further diagnostics gave the following:

The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

So it's broken more than a few days a go!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

FYI all I've just flagged this up again with our suppliers and I'll let you know when we know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've collated 16 circuit IDs from this thread and passed them on to our suppliers for further investigation.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Gandalf,

Can BT Wholesale broadband Speed Test be trusted any more, when its download progress bar is stuck at the start?

Chandu.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd use a third party speedtester in the interim until the problems with the wholesale test are fixed.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chandu
Rising Star

@Gandalf,

Can you suggest one which is really trustworthy?

Chandu.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As one of my colleagues has mentioned earlier speedtest.net is a good one to use, as is www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chandu
Rising Star

@Gandalf,

Thank you for your suggestion/s for the speed testers and I have used both of them and both seem more realistic than non-functioning BT wholesale speed tester.

Many thanks and hope that BT sorts its speed tester very quickly.

Regards,

Chandu.

chandu
Rising Star

@Gandalf,

Hi there.  I thought you might want to know that BT Wholesale Speed Test is still a NO,NO for my W10 Home and IE11.

Download progress bar still stuck at start of the test and stays there.

So, what is  wrong with it or what is wrong with my system?  I never had this issue before until recently.

Chandu.

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Still works for me (eventually) on Win7 using either Chrome or IE11, although still reports 'impossible' upload speed for ADSL2+ (around 1.70Mbps on speed test, 2.05Mbps on Tap1 test.)

Pretty poor system given that it's supposed to be a part of BT's and their resellers' fault diagnostic process. 

chusan
Dabbler

Hi Chandu

Try this. When you run the BT speed test leave in the stuck position and walk away for 5 to 10 minutes and I find after about 5 minutes( or a little longer)  you should get a result.

The old system took 1 minute and I still do not know why BT will not change their current test or revert to old one until they have found a way to get back to the old standard which worked for years.

Regards

Chusan

conrad
Hooked

Chusan  - I'm with BT and the "old" tester worked up to last October. At that point Firefox which was my preferred browser started to report a download speed 40% lower than expected so I moved to Chrome which was ok. When I upgraded to fibre people on the BT forum were having problems with Firefox and also Chrome , which eventually happened to me so I had to use Edge. The problem was the tester was flash based giving false readings dependant on the browser and  also since 2012 when I joined BT the further diagnostics has been somewhat hit and miss and was an acknowledged problem on the BT forum  so BT Wholesale , who deal with this matter , need to provide a workable alternative. Incidentally the EE forum only uses the thinkbroadband tester.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looks like I've received a reply back as of about half an hour ago from our suppliers advising that they believe it's fixed so I've gone back to them and I'll update you when I know more.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet