cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Smart Hub Broadband Speed on Plusnet

cambridgect6

BT Smart Hub Broadband Speed on Plusnet

Took advice from this forum that the new BT Smart Hub will work on Plusnet. Obtained hub from EBay and connected up. No problem in connecting to broadband using Plusnet Id and password. As promised wireless reach of Smart Hub is much better than my existing Plusnet Hub One. BUT speed is awful. In particular latency is huge. IP Address, Default Gateway, Primary and Secondary DNS appear to be set properly. Has anyone else encountered this?

6 REPLIES 6
Marketman
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: BT Smart Hub Broadband Speed on Plusnet

Not sure what your problem is, but I use a BT Home Hub 5 as a repeater as the wifi signal from Plusnet Hub One won't reach right through the house, set up is similar to just using the Home Hub on its own, and I can confirm that it does work fine. I followed instructions from a Youtube video to get the settings right.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

cambridgect6

Thanks, that's one way forward which I could try. BT Smart Hub is different from HH5 in that the red network connection is not present on some models (not present on mine) but may still work if I try one of the standard connections. Will report back on success or otherwise.

Marketman
Rising Star

The red connection is not required if you use Home Hub 5 as repeater, just connect to any of the yellow ones. The only other problem you may have is that my Hub is a 5A, not sure if 5B is different.

cambridgect6

All up and working now: Plusnet Hub is modem and DHCP server. BT Smart Hub is wireless access point. Just one little niggle. The BT Smart Hub should show a blue light when working correctly. On the Smart Hub you can turn this off if it annoys you. But it seems that you can't turn off a warning light. So my Smart Hub is flashing a purple light to tell me that its not connected to Broadband. Only solution I have is to put a box over it.

Marketman
Rising Star

Yes you are quite right, I get lights flashing on my HH5, but it is hidden away from sight. I used to use a Home Hub 2, this didn't have this problem and worked well, I only swapped it when I acquired a HH5, I was also worried about security with such an old device.

Marketman
Rising Star

I have just remember another problem, occasionally internet speed via HH5 wifi sometimes briefly slows to about 50% of normal, but it recovers quite quickly. I am not sure what is causing the problem, it could be some interference from somewhere.