Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Hub 6 / BT Smart Hub

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

BT Hub 6 / BT Smart Hub

A friend asked me to instal his new router today and I was suprised to see it was a new BT Hub 6 / BT Smart Hub.

It was of course very easy, just replace the old with the new.

It claims to have much better Wi-Fi - but I didn't have a chnce to test that as he used the Ethernet port.

I wonder if this means that PN will now update their router ?Huh

6 REPLIES 6
highpriest
Dabbler

Re: BT Hub 6 / BT Smart Hub

Doubt it. The Hub One was launched only a few months ago.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Also the BT Smart Hub is a major new selling point for BT Retail so I very much doubt that BT plc would allow either Plusnet or EE (the other 2 BT plc brands) to supply it for quite a while.

There has to be some product differential within the 3 brands to justify running 3 separate companies and they will be little appetite at plc level to have the 3 companies cannibalize each other's customers.

Just my 2 pence worth. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fair commet - but I don't really see the standard route being a decider for most customers.
I would of thought having a common router - rebadged if necessary, would be more cost effective for the three BT companies; easier for product support too.

egm

Not much info about using BT Smart Hub with Plusnet apart from your post but I wish you had said how, to make it easier for me. However based on your post I decided to buy from ebay to upgrade from a BT HH5. Plugged in, straight swap, but it comes pre-set with BT logon details and it automatically connects with BT. When you go in to Hub Manager, there is no way on the face of it to change the broadband user name & password. I thought it was locked to BT. Only after some time did I realise that you have to use the Disconnect button at the top of the browser page, after which lo & behold the 2 boxes appear. Change the logon & password & click "Connect" button & this saves the changes. Hope this helps someone?

I did before & after signal strength & speed tests from various parts of the house. Most times there is an improvement in download speeds. Upload little difference. I would say a rough 5-10% improvement in wi-fi strength, worth having but not a startling improvement over the Home Hub 5 but mine was an "A" version.

I feel already, after only 26 hours, that the connection is going to be more reliable than HH5 (most routers have to be ?), so a worthwhile upgrade.

oweman

Hi there, sorry for the late income of this post but I have just switched from BT to Plusnet. Are you saying that the SmartHub works with Plusnet? If so how did you get it working. I have seen some other posts but they are a bit vague.

thanks

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12