Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Basic.

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

BT Basic.

Do PlusNet offer anything similar to BT Basic for folks like myself on pension credit?

The importance of having a phone line for the elderly is well recognised, so what if anything can you guys offer without adding higher costs for phone calls and greatly reduced internet access, as those monthly charges are starting to slip beyond reach. 

If nothing, then many of us old codgers are going be taking closer look at what others have to offer. We might be old, but we are not all daft Wink

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
18 REPLIES 18
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: BT Basic.

I'm pretty sure that particular product is unique to BT as the ex-incumbent monopoly provider (only they have to provide a product that takes into account the circumstances of the customer).

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Minivanman
Legend

You may be right there, so maybe I'm wrong to stay with PlusNet. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

No they don't
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Minivanman
Legend

Then I guess those like myself who qualify for what BT Basic has to offer need to take a closer look as said, but what an odd discrepancy between two related companies and if I may say so a rather blunt reply from PlusNet.

Herman Melville
dvorak

PN haven't replied?
Customer / Moderator
Minivanman
Legend

I assumed you were PlusNet @dvorak

This is what prompted my opening post by the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39291048 

Herman Melville
dvorak

Nope, just a customer like you Smiley
Customer / Moderator
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

In the old days of the BT light user scheme you were unable to have BB or even BT dial-up unless you paid the full line rental.

Minivanman
Legend

All pretty half hearted and meaningless then, and not much worse than the current scheme.

What a swizz. Sad

Herman Melville
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

http://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/index.htm

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Minivanman
Legend

I had looked at that and nothing much to phone home about truth be told. As said, what a swizz.

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Why not move your phone line to BT then apply for BT Basic, keeping your DSL with PN and just pay the extra £2.50 pm?  Surely paying £5.xx pm for BT Basic plus that extra £2.50 to PN would be cheaper overall for you?

(Don't say it can't be done because I know someone in that situation) Smiley

Minivanman
Legend

Interesting idea, but are there not moves to combine both the phone with the internet charge? Fine at the moment where in their infinate wisdom they'll still try and charge you the Lion's share if your broadband goes down the plughole but......

I'm contracted to PlusNet until November I think so I'll mull that one over, thanks. Thumbs_Up

Herman Melville
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

There are other advantages to moving your line to BT (Basic) too which you might like to consider ...

1. Free Caller Display included with BT Basic

2. Free BT Call Protect included with BT phone service (we've discussed this before - allows you to block unwanted calls)

Plus allegedly quicker fault repair service etc.