cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to install Joomla onPlusnet cgi webspace.Please could someone advise?

tinacornes
Dabbler

Attempting to install Joomla onPlusnet cgi webspace.Please could someone advise?

Hello everyone,
I've been reading the forums all day and realise that I'm not the only one having problems installing Joomla (and then virtuemart if I can get Joomla sorted).
I've uploaded all of the files and when I go to my cgi webspace in my browser, hoping to install, I get the following error message:
"Fatal error: Class jexception: Cannot inherit from undefined class jobject in /share/storage/01/co/cornes/libraries/joomla/error/exception.php on line 25"
Could somebody cleverer than me throw some light on this? Or should I give up on Plusnet's webspace?
I've been with them for almost four years now and becoming frustrated at paying over £21 each month for slow speeds and no customer service. When I first joined them, they were the best.
Sorry for the little rant chucked in there  Roll_eyes
I'd be very grateful if somebody could help me with my Joomla problem.
Thanks in advance, Tina
11 REPLIES 11
tinacornes
Dabbler

Re: Attempting to install Joomla onPlusnet cgi webspace.Please could someone advise?

Cry No answers????
Please help. Even if simply to say it's not possible............please?Huh
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Attempting to install Joomla onPlusnet cgi webspace.Please could someone advise?

Suspect people might be out enjoying the bank holiday  Smiley
There isn't much on a google of the error.. but this one seems to suggest that doing the upload and re-trying it might help.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tinacornes
Dabbler

"Suspect people might be out enjoying the bank holiday  Smiley"
You're probably right. I'm being very impatient.
Thanks for answering & nice to 'meet' you.
Tina  Smiley
tinacornes
Dabbler

I've tried uploading again. At least now the error message has changed!
When I go to "http://ccgi.cornes.plus.com/installation/index.php"; I receive the following message - "Unable to load session storage class: none".
I've checked that all of the files have uploaded correctly. As I don't know PHP at all, I'm stuck again!
Please help................anyone?
Thank you, Tina
Gabe
Grafter

Hi Tina,
You asked if someone cleverer than you could throw light on your problem, but in the absence of anyone cleverer than you, I'll have a stab at a best guess.
I'm unfamiliar with Joomla (I've looked at it superficially, just to test its behaviour on PAYH), so I may not know what I'm talking about and hope someone will correct me if I guess wrongly.
The errors you describe sound like the sort of thing that happens when files are absent or in the wrong place or have the wrong permissions. I don't know how you uploaded Joomla, but it's usually best to upload the .zip or the .tar.gz archive as a single file and then unpack it on the server.
I think you may run into other problems with Joomla on ccgi. I think, IIRC, Joomla has abandoned PHP 4 compatibility in favour of PHP 5. ccgi runs PHP 4. Although we can install our own custom versions of PHP 5 on ccgi, we can't use them with the .php extension (only .php5 or whatever), so that's no use for CMSs.
You can run Joomla, with a little difficulty, on PAYH, but, unless you previously signed up for the trial, that will now cost you extra. PAYH is currently not ideal for that purpose, so you might be better off looking elsewhere.
Plusnet should want to cater for exactly the sort of thing you're trying to achieve. It's where the growth is in hosting and would be a genuine plus.
Gabe
tinacornes
Dabbler

Hi Gabe,
Thank you for posting.
You've answered a lot of questions for me and and made me realise my suspicions were correct.
I'll look for decent, economical (such a thing?) hosting to try out Joomla. I will then change to a cheaper isp.
Many thanks, Tina  Smiley
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

My host in Canada could be worth looking at - www.hostingone.ca - they have web hosting from $49.99 USD for a whole year.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Well I'm running joomla quite happily on the CCGI platform.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which version?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tonycollinet
Grafter

I've got the live site running on V1.0.11 and an "in progress" migration running on 1.5.1 (this  is running in 1.0 legacy mode due to the template). The only problem I have with the migration at the moment is with the JCE content editor. It think that can be fixed with the latest version.
I am also in the process of a trial migration of the same site into Drupal. I'm liking Drupal a lot. A steeper learning curve, but seems more powerful and flexible. (I say seems - because I am still quite low on the learning curve)
Gabe
Grafter

Good to know there's still some mileage left in Joomla's legacy mode. Worth noting that official support for PHP 4 ended in August 08, with no further security updates or bug-fixes. Joomla 1.6, scheduled for 09, will require PHP5.
Gabe