cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance setting up wordpress blog

beale2

Assistance setting up wordpress blog

Hi
I am trying to set up a wordpress blog and having real difficulty.
I have set up a blog folder in public and uploaded Wordpress to there.  I have changed the wp config file to include the database name, my user name and password.  I have just added myphp on the advice of the Plusnet advisor after I kept seeing Error establishing a database connection.  However I am still getting the message despite Plusnet confirming it had been installed.  Can anyone help?  I am not a techie so simple terms please if you offer any advice.
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Assistance setting up wordpress blog

In the wp-config file did you also define the DB_HOST value? Could you confirm you got the DB_NAME, DB_USER and DB_PASSWORD settings from the control panel MySQL Manager tool when you created the database? In particular the username and password are NOT those you use for logging into your Plusnet website account.
Where did you add "myphp"? I can't think what that is.
David
David
beale2

Yes I did get the info from MySQL Manager tool and I understand the username and passwords are different.  I have tried leaving the db host as localhost and also changing it to the allocated database.  Nothing works.  I was recommended by Plusnet to get the myphp section up and running and I have - this creates a database.  The 5 minute Wordpress installation does not work with Plusnet!  I have asked if the all is ok their end and they have again pointed  me back to this forum without confirming it is.  Very frustrated.....
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

DB_NAME is the value given in the Available Databases column in MySQL Manager
DB_USER is the value given in the User Name column
DB_PASSWORD is whatever was set for this database
DB_HOST has to be the value given in the DB Host column
The database will have been created by MYSQL Manager to provide you with that information. The Wordpress installation panels create some tables in that database. If you click on the database line in MySQL Manager, then enter the database password further down the page and click "login" does it log you into the database? That would confirm you have all the MySQL information which WordPress needs.
I assume you uploaded the WordPress files to /public/blog so you will have some files and directories wp-admin, wp-content and wp-includes in that folder.. Were the files transferred as ASCII (text) and NOT binary (usually "auto" makes the right choice)? This is necessary to ensure they have the correct line endings.
David