Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assistance in recovering domain name required please - 152732298

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Assistance in recovering domain name required please - 152732298

One of my referrals has "lost" their domain name.  It came up for renewal in May 2017 - they sought to change registrars - requesting that the move inhibited flag be removed, but got asked by PN support to provided "an approved email address".

Due to not clearly knowing what this meant and ill health that matter did not get concluded.  The domain has now expired, he has no relationship with the registrar used by PN so is unable to contact them and is in something of a cul-de-sac.  The above ticket was raised over a week ago seeking assistance - it has not yet been responded to.  Can someone please give the relevant department a chase please?

Thank you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Assistance in recovering domain name required please - 152732298

If it's a .uk domain would it be worth asking Nominet for advice.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks Strat - its a .net domain - which makes it somewhat less easy.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Townman,

I'm not entirely sure if that's possible because it's not registered to Plusnet. Having said that, I've moved the ticket on the account to the correct team (Hostmaster) to pick up. They don't work weekends unfortunately.

I'll also give them a nudge tomorrow.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That might be true, however the registrar's website directs users seeking to 'recover' domain names to the purchasing agent which is PlusNet. The user got into this predicament in the first place due to the substantial PN renewal fee and ununderstandable request to provide an 'authorised' email address.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'll get back to you tomorrow once our hosting team is in.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf,

Thank you for poking this - the team has responded promptly this morning as follows...

Payment is required on this domain to re-activate, whilst we can unlock the domain the customer still needs an authorisation code to complete a transfer. Please note I have unlocked the domain but we are currently unable to administer it, This domain will soon go into a redemption status which increases the renewal cost severely, please contact the customer promptly to try to eliminate that cost.

It is known that payment is required to re-activate the domain, however PlusNet's offer of circa £90** to do that is not attractive hence the user's prior attempt / intent (in May) to migrate the registration to elsewhere ... which was inhibited previously by the need to provide an "authorised email address" (see previous tickets) which was not understood.

If PlusNet are not able to administer it how are (were) they able to unlock the domain?

What is ideally required here is the ability to migrate the domain's registration to lcn.com (TAG LCN) so that the owner can manage things there after.  Given that the user has no relationship with the current registrar, how might this catch 22 situation be moved forward please?

Something has changed since I last looked at the domain - this guidance from enom.com ...

If you need help renewing your domain but don't know who you bought it from, you can quickly do a search and obtain their contact information by entering your domain in the search box at the following URL: http://www.enom.com/help/reseller_lookup.asp 

Previously reported PlusNet's address ... now it just routes to an account log-in page ... for which the user has not got any account details ... and even if they did, how would they be able to claim domain ownership please?

** 10 year .net name registration with LCN.com is just £70

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've been discussing this with our hostmaster team.

Whilst ENOM allow us to unlock a domain, we aren't not able to administer the domain until we pay.

Once the renewal fee of £92.83 is paid, we'll be able to complete the transfer.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf,

Just so I'm clear (as I'll need to tell the user) - it's Enom who wants £93 not Plusnet?

It is Enom who will not all the domain name to be migrated to an alternative registrar for renewal?

How long renewal is this for - as noted £70 with LCN gives the user 10 years.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I'm not sure what the wholesale cost is to be honest, however I don't believe that's something we'd get in to a discussion about.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Harry,

Indeed! What I was trying to 'test' is - "Is it the position of Enom that until a renewal fee is paid they will not provide a registrar migration code to / via PN"?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Townman wrote:
Indeed! What I was trying to 'test' is - "Is it the position of Enom that until a renewal fee is paid they will not provide a registrar migration code to / via PN"?

I believe so. The only way to complete the transfer would be to renew the domain first.

@Townman wrote:
How long renewal is this for - as noted £70 with LCN gives the user 10 years.

That's for 2 years.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet