cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having Vodafone Sure Signal problems?

Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Anyone else having Vodafone Sure Signal problems?

There's several threads on their forums and the implication is that it's only BT customers affected but I am as well. Vodafone aren't giving much in the way of updates but they claim (here) to be in contact with various ISPs and that a resolution is on the way (between now and Sunday apparently). Have they spoken to anyone at PN?

35 REPLIES 35
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Anyone else having Vodafone Sure Signal problems?

Has it ever worked, or is this a recent development? There are lots of posts elsewhere about setting up Port Forwarding to get it to work, as here.

Andrue
Pro

Yeah it's recent. Seems to have been a creeping problem with some other users affected last Saturday. Mine was fine until Monday evening. There's loads of people on the SS forum complaining. Not helped of course by Vodafone's utterly appalling customer service. Support agents giving different stories. Forum support staff giving different stories. Vodafone have even blamed ISPs directly in some of the online chats.

All we really know is that we've been advised to attempt tracert and pings to 212.168.133.177 and neither seems to work, tracert doesn't seem to get past a BT server (presumably an edge server). At work they get into the Vodafone network.

HarryH

Thanks for the reassurance that it's not just my SS (v3) that is not connecting Smiley - from sometime late last week, "Internet" & "User" indicators solid amber. I've fiddled with lots of settings on my router but to no avail of course.

I might try on-line search to find a handbook from Alcatel-Lucent (SS's manufacturer) to discover more detail on the fault indicated (no point asking Vodafone I guess) - it's one of two possibilities labelled "can't access the internet properly - please check your internet connection". If I find anything I'll come back with the info and seek expert opinion.

In the meantime I'll keep the SS connected and hope that the problem is resolved by Sunday (10th?) as Vodafone's announcement promises.

Andrue
Pro

Some users are reporting that their VSS is working again. No sign of it here yet though.

Andrue
Pro

Yup, my SS3 is back up and connected. Not at all happy with Vodafone's handling of the situation but that's outside the scope of this forum.

HarryH

Yes, mine was restored sometime before 8pm last night - but didn't want to post anything too soon Smiley

I see there's a Vodafone announcement "This issue has now been resolved" dated 8/4/16 7:44PM. (here, bottom of page)

I guess that's over now ... until the next time (Dec 2014 was the previous event for me)! Be nice to know some detail of the problem/solution though - I'm not interested in blame, I'm happy to believe unintended consequences, but just like to know.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hi guys 

A little off topic, I am thinking of moving to Vodafone , but would need a sure signal box ( bad to no signal from all networks). I have a couple of questions , might be able to help with Smiley

When making calls using sure signal:

Can you use 141

Merge calls  

When receiving calls using sure signal 

Can you block incoming calls/numbers 

Currently with 02 who have tugo app , but you can not do any of the above, hence why i am thinking of moving to Voda

Thanks 

Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HarryH

Hi ITWorks,

Yes, off-topic but I'll reply here so others with more knowledge can correct me. Apologies to Community if I really should have made just a private reply - I'm new at this.

As I understand it, the Sure Signal is just a very-local 3G base station (using my broadband connection to back haul to Vodafone's network) so I guess any facilities would be the same as with a "normal" 3G base station. But I don't know whether Vodafone offer/allow any of the things you're asking about.

Perhaps you'd be better searching/posting Vodafone's community forum (here, opens in new page I hope).

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for your reply Harry , appreciated
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Mike, also have a look at what "3" have to offer.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Anotherone

Thanks for the suggestion

I have looked at Three before,  they have "intouch" which works the same way as O2's "tugo" Wifi app.

They will be my second choice if i do not move to Vodafone, there app can be no worse than O2

Mike

danielmclean
Grafter

i have vodafone sure signal for over a year now  and never had problems        only fails to connect if 

yes you can use 141 to withhold number    

sure signal  acts as 3g mast    using broadband and so it is only giving a 3g signal as like you would normally have outside off   normal masts 
Tags (1)
Andrue
Pro

One thing to be aware of with the SureSignal is that even if you're connected to it data usage comes out of your allowance. It's not normally a problem because your phone will be using wifi in preference to 3g but something to be aware of anyway.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser

Having just moved to Vodafone and get the sure signal setup, works a treat, one query, my sure signal box (top half) is fairly warm when touched (have nothing plugged in to the the pass through plug) . Do others find this?

Also is there a way to force the phone to ? use the sure signal , having just restarted the box , i get not get reconnected to it 

Regards Mike