cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions for a wifi bridge?

Dalesman
Grafter

Any suggestions for a wifi bridge?

I'm thinking of installing CCTV and I'm looking for a wifi bridge which can connect an NVR to our Plusnet router.  The NVR will most probably be in the loft and connection by hard-wired ethernet would be impractical.  I'm aware that hard-wiring is always the best option, where possible.  Can anyone suggest a suitable piece of kit please?

Edit - sorry, probably posted in the wrong place.  Mods please feel free to move.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Any suggestions for a wifi bridge?

@Dalesman 

These are the options. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dalesman
Grafter

Thanks, having read through, I take your point that cable is cheaper and more reliable.  I will have a non-wireless NVR in the loft, designed to be connected by ethernet to my Plusnet router on the ground floor.

If I still want to go wireless and avoid drilling holes, can I connect the NVR to the ethernet port of a wifi range extender (which would also be in the loft), and use that with a Plusnet router on the ground floor?  Is it easy to set up a range extender to work with the Plusnet router?  What spec of wifi range extender should I be looking for?

Thanks again.

Baldrick1

@Dalesman 

You can but with one huge proviso. That is that you have a reasonable WiFi signal from your router in your loft for the extender to lock on. This is very questionable with Plusnet hubs.

Subject to your house wiring arrangement (see the link embedded in my earlier post) you might do better with a pair of powerline units.

Just bear in mind that providing you terminate it yourself Ethernet cable only requires about a 5mm hole to pass through a wall and once it's installed you can pretty much guarantee that you will never have any connection issues to your router. It's a pain to install but it's the cheapest, most reliable option and you only have to do it once.

Moderator and Customer

Dalesman
Grafter

Thanks - I think I see your point, that the Plusnet hub is not just a receiver of data from the NVR via the range extender, it's a two-way link and therefore depends on the range of the Plusnet hub also being adequate.  I could perhaps test that using a mobile phone.

Baldrick1

@Dalesman 

When you do your testing make sure that you do a speed test, preferably at different times of the day. 

Moderator and Customer