cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recommendations for tools to analyse Hostopia LogManager Access logs?

creamola
Grafter

Any recommendations for tools to analyse Hostopia LogManager Access logs?

Amongst the stuff in my web space that was migrated to Hostopia, was an old experimental PHP forum. I didn't use it for anything and wasn't even aware it was turned on.
Hostopia has recently spotted, that persons unknown appear to have found this unused forum, have broken in and were using it to host Spam.
Hostopia quickly turned this off - so top marks to them, but left the access logs - which have shot up to about 70MB for each month that the hackers were in control.
I have downloaded the logs and would like to analyse them in order to work out where the traffic has been coming from - which is an onerous task. Hostopia mention that these files can be opened using Third Party Analytics tools, so before I chuck the data into Excel and start tinkering with PowerPivot etc, does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Any recommendations for tools to analyse Hostopia LogManager Access logs?

Quote from: creamola
Hostopia mention that these files can be opened using Third Party Analytics tools...

I'm confused. I don't see any reference to this advice on your account. Have Hostopia been in touch with you directly?
Quote from: creamola
...so before I chuck the data into Excel and start tinkering with PowerPivot etc, does anyone have any recommendations?

Not really my forté, however you could try AWStats, I think that can be installed on the CGI platform.
You're probably going to want to trim/delete your databse and those log files eventually, along with any other content you don't need. According to reporting, you're using over 3.5GB of server space at the moment (the soft allowance we allocate you is 500MB) Shocked
Not sure if it helps but almost all of the bandwidth to/from your site seems to be to the cgi subdomain, rather than ccgi. If you like, we can disable the cgi subdomain and see if it helps?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

creamola
Grafter

Richard,
                Thanks - and of you are confused, imagine how I felt! 🙂
This is actually question 90897341  - being managed by Curtis Almond (who very kindly called me yesterday to explain what the issue was).
I 'll now go and check out AWstats
Curtis said that Hostopia had already disabled whatever it is that is causing the problem for weirdly, although I appear to be using 3.5GB of server space (and I shudder to think what some of the contents could be)  I can't see that space via the Hostopia File Manager, so wonder if Hostopia have already deleted it?
avatastic
Grafter

I'd wager that the space is being take up by database files, even if they've had the offending content removed the files will not have automatically truncated.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If you're not bothered about anything in the database tables then easiest thing is probably to drop/delete the entire database using the MySQL Manager in the Hosting Control Panel.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵