cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Plusnet Protect Problem.

buseng12
Grafter

Another Plusnet Protect Problem.

After some issues at the beginning of the year (the well known update hanging issue & PP firewall was blocking my newly acquired Sonos wireless speakers which I couldn't overcome), I uninstalled Plusnet Protect, Since then I have been using various other AV's & firewalls.

However on Friday I decided to reinstall PP to see if the issues have been resolved. At first things looked good, the update issue was solved & the firewall allowed the Sonos speakers to work.

However on Saturday strange things started to happen on my Windows 10 system, there were 3 separate issues, but I think they were all related.

1. The Windows start menu would not open when you left clicked the windows icon om the left of the taskbar.

2, Similarly the Windows search/Cortana would not work  when you left clicked the appropriate tab next to the Windows icon.

3. The Windows Notification bar would would not open when you left clicked the icon on the right of the taskbar.

These items worked for a very short time after each start of  the PC, but failed very quickly.

After a lot of head scratching & putting 2 & 2 together I realised the problem stated after I reinstalled PP. 

I therefore uninstalled PP again & lo & behold the 3 items started working again.

My question is why did PP stop these items working & has anyone else had this issue?

My original PP installation did not do this.

Just to say I had a few clitches when trying to install PP on Friday & it took a while. 

I'm not sure whether to try again. 

2 REPLIES 2
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Another Plusnet Protect Problem.

I think you will find that Plusnet Protect is incompatible with W10 - and from everything I have read on the forum about it, I wouldn't recommend installing it anyway.

I'm sure if I'm wrong, the experts will correct me..Smiley

John
buseng12
Grafter

Re: Another Plusnet Protect Problem.

I MAY of sorted this out! Basically it seems my Windows user account/profile was corrupted. Doing a bit more research on line I found this,

http://www.techbout.com/fix-corrupt-user-profile-windows-10-9139/

In a nutshell my reg  "state" entry for my account wasn't correct, it was something like "300" instead of "0". As advised I reset it to "0" & also reset the RefCount entry to "0" as well & rebooted. I then done a reinstall of PP.

Happily (fingers crossed) everything seems fine so far.

God knows what caused my user account to go "pear shaped".

I think the current PP is Win10 compatable, it says  copyright 2016 McAfee inc at the bottom. So it looks fairly new.