cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android TV Box is crazing me!!!

Esplinados

Android TV Box is crazing me!!!

Hi, I have an issue that has been crazing me for some time.  Before switching to Plusnet i bought an android tv box.  However, whenever it was plugged in all devices attached to the router would lose all connection.  The moment it is unplugged the connection comes back.  I called the supplier of the box who advised this was a network issue.  Sure enough, i tried the box round a friends house and it worked perfectly!  I gave them it!

One of the reasons for switching to Plusnet was that i might now be able to watch Android TV.  I purchased another box and again, the moment it is plugged in all devices drop connection.

I have connected the box through Wi-fi and Ethernet.  It connects but simply does nothing.  Again, the moment the box is unplugged, all connections come back immediately.

Can anyone shed any light whatsoever on what might be causing this and why, in my house, a perfectly good product just won't work.  I'd be mega grateful to get this resolved!!

Many thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Android TV Box is crazing me!!!

People may be able to help you more if you said which box, which router you have, and is your friend using PN and the same router or another provider, if so which router.

I suspect its a config error, but without details, not so easy to suggest a solution.

Esplinados

Hi, thanks for taking the time with my query.  My router is a Sagemcom 2704N and the box is an MXQ box.  My friend is on BT with an infinity 5 router.  My previous supplier was EE and that router wouldnt do it either (brightbox wireless router).  Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Esplinados - It sounds to me that this device is using the same IP as your router / modem, so I'm guessing that your friend has either a different modem / router / ISP. But as @Mustrum says providing model specific information would be a starter for 10. However, you might want to check the manual for the device and see how you can change the default IP address, it may be a simple matter using the device's built in user interface.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

There are plenty of Home Hub 5's on ebay or local ads, or if your contract is due soon, a call to customer services could get a new PN hub 1 which I am sure would sort the problem.

I don't know much about the sagecom, so suggest anything with that.

Esplinados

Ok, i managed to get hold of a Home Hub 5. Still makes absolutely no difference. I've tred turning my Firewall off, no difference. Changed to a static IP, no difference. Trying it in another room, no difference. I guess this will just have to go on the unsolved pile and i'll have to accept that an android tv box just ain't for me. Still crazing me though 😂😂😂
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Very strange, I have been using Android TV boxes for many years with no issues.

Are you using a wifi or wired connection?

In the settings under network, what is the status, usually it just offers DHCP & Manual setup, all mine are/have been on DHCP.

There is nothing on them to stop any other kit working (normally). Routers shouldn't have to be changed in anyway.

Try a reset on the Android box.

LucasArnott

Yes @Hairy I found some better comparisons in “Gostreamer” M8 Quad Core Android Kit Kat TV Box Media Player HD WIFI Kodi and XBMC Gotham Streamer you can install and run some of the most popular Android apps direct from the Google Play Store. Hope it will help you.