cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon Echo Dot info

patti
Grafter

Amazon Echo Dot info

Hope I'm posting this in the right place.. I am thinking of getting an Echo Dot. However, I have been reading that a lot of people are having a problem connecting it to their internet. It says it needs 2.5 to 5 GHZ to run. Has anyone had any experience of using the Dot or know anything about it please? 

9 REPLIES 9
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Amazon Echo Dot info

What's it for and what does it do?

Checked a couple reviews and I'm still puzzled. Crazy2

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't know about the Dot in how it differs from the Echo itself but for a basic outline, once connected to internet you can ask it things like, what the weather will be tomorrow, ask it to remind you so do stuff, set appointment etc, play your music etc. Also, with the right accessories you can ask it to change the heating, turn light on/off etc. But the UK version is no the same as the US version and lacks quite a lot of functionality.

Edit:- Added this link.

patti
Grafter

This is what it's capable of so far. .  Looks like fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXS7rC1PWo

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Siri/Cortana on steroids Grin

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Well I found Cortana scary enough which is why I never use it, but this?

Not for me sorry.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
patti
Grafter

Lol!  I love this stuff Smiley 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The link posted by @patti makes this look really good, but you know what as much as I would like one I simply don't trust it, it has, to me at least, a distinct hint of creepiness about it.

patti
Grafter

Hi Mook.. Creepiness? why do you think that? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@patti - All of those microphone listening! OK they say nothing goes down the wire until you've said 'Alexa' but it's still listening all the same and if the hackers can make printers and web cameras contribute to a DDOS attack, I guess they could listen in to everything that was being said.

No, I've nothing to hide before anyone mentions that old chestnut, but all the same I wouldn't have one solely based on my own paranoia.