cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternate host recommendation

tonycollinet
Grafter

Alternate host recommendation

Feel free to move this if I shouldn't be posting this question here.
I am spending too much time fixing my sites after platform changes. I've been thinking about moving to a paid host with proper domain anyway. What hosting services would you point me at. I'm looking primarily for low overall cost. Performance not too much of an issue - it is a low traffic site. However, I need php/mysql, and would like the one host also to setup the domain.
The host should be reliable and stable. Preferably with expansion options, so I can add more sites/traffic later.
Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Alternate host recommendation

I use 1and1 and have had no problems - you can use PHP4 or PHP5
The big advantage is that although the size of site is restricted by option selected there is an unlimited upload/download allowance
tonycollinet
Grafter

Thanks Oldjim
Just had a quick look. As far as I can see, you need the business package to get a database - which is then 8.99 a month. Is that correct?
Also database size is limited on all packages to 100Mb - isn't that an issue for large sites?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Since I don't use a database - I have no idea  Embarrassed
Gabe
Grafter

Krystal any good? That's more a question than a recommendation.
Gabe
tonycollinet
Grafter

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm also looking at Vidahost - seems to have a good rep. Anyone any experience of them?
matt_2k34
Grafter

[my 2p] ive had some seriously bad experiences with 1&1, both domain, webhosting, 'stores' and databases. To sum up their support " Cheesy  :o" [/my 2p]
i went to an american server afterwards ($ to £ rate was fantastic at the time) -  Freehostia was the host of choice (does free hosting, but also does paid for with databases etc.)
Failing that, i use Heart Internet - their CS has always been very good to me, altho ive only used them for domains - mate of mine (who recommended them to me) uses them for hosting, and hes not had any issues (apart from when he didnt pay the bill!  Undecided )
joeo2000

Hi,
      I  had a look about recently, ended up checking out the netmag http://forum.netmag.co.uk/index.php webhosting thread and Clook gets a good write up and seem to fit the bill, though i have no experience with them.One that I would steer clear of that I have had experience of is web-mania and I'm still trying to get a refund 3 weeks later.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've been with Xilo.net for about 6 months now, and they've been excellent so far. Prior to that I was with UH-Hosting.co.uk for a number of years, and had a lot of downtime.  I should have moved away from them a lot earlier, but that was just down to lazyness!
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrC
Grafter

You don't say what you consider low cost but I've always had very good experiences with ICUK (http://www.icukhosting.co.uk/webhosting/). They aren't the cheapest but they're UK based and have very good technical support - you tend to talk direct to those who can actually do something rather than follow a scrip and I've had no downtime in the 5 years I've been using them. Note that their prices are per annum and ex-vat.
David_W
Rising Star

A cheap one I've been using is Godaddy, and they really are cheap.  $1.99 for a domain name (renewals are more expensive however) and good options for something like $5 a month, although if you buy another domain, you get credits which can use used for free webspace.
Apprentice
Grafter

For UK based have a look at what  tsohost can offer you.
Kwyjibo

I've used Dataflame in the past and never had any problems with them.
Mike
mentalist3d
Grafter

I'm using HostPapa at the moment, they only have the one package on offer but it is only £70 per year and you have unlimited webspace, unlimited traffic, and unlimited add-on domains, while there is no such thing as unlimited, I have been able to store over 10Gb on the server and run a few large sites and several smaller sites without a problem.
One host to definelty avoid is streamline.net, I had a very horrible experience with them and their practices are fraudulent. do a google search for streamline.net, legal and you will see many other people that have received a poor service and been defrauded by this group of charlatans
amcclean
Rising Star

I use strato-hosting.co.uk. Based in Berlin but fantastic cs staff most are Brittish they have answered almost all of my questions with out error. They have helped me with my CMS package even though they have nothing to do with it aprt from it's on their servers.
good range of packages with PHP and decent no of MySQl databases.
podman