cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowing users to upload web pages to a specific folder

Edward

Allowing users to upload web pages to a specific folder

Could anyone provide me with a step-by-step idiot's guide that will enable me to set up my web space so as to allow authorised users to upload html files to my web space.
We use the space for a small regional charity and would like our area reps to be able maintain and upload their local news pages, but without disclosing the account password (that would allow them access to the control panel).
Any help would be much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
decomplexity
Rising Star

Re: Allowing users to upload web pages to a specific folder

An alternative – and one which might be better than allowing privileged users to upload their owe pages which have any layout whatever – is to create skeleton pages for them which then include their own information using SSI #includes (e.g. <!--#include virtual="user1data.inc" -->). Their information could be uploaded to a separate area of the same webspace but is better input using a form created by PHP which then creates the #include file. Accepting input from the form can be password protected using a password unrelated to your FTP password. All this is easier than it sounds.
If you really want to let many users create their own arbitrary content, you would be better using a CMS like Joomla or Drupal
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Edward

Thank you for the prompt reply. Part of the objective is to encourage the development of local skills in web page design, each with a distinct local flavour, so we would prefer to give specific users access to upload html and images to a specific folder in our webspace.  Any help in how we go about this would be very much appreciated.
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you thought of setting up a CMS and making them authors?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)