cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All4 not working on Samsung smart TV - specific to PlusNet

paulandclaire
Dabbler

All4 not working on Samsung smart TV - specific to PlusNet

Since moving to PlusNet a couple of months back my relatively new Samsung smart TV app for All4 doesn't show programmes anymore. It streams the adverts fine but then stops and eventually (takes an age) says the programme is unavailable when it gets to the actual content. Really frustrating! All other streaming apps work fine (iPlayer, ITV Hub, etc), and I've reinstalled the All4 app. Tonight I connected my TV to my phone's 4G via a hotspot and All4 works fine. So I'm convinced it is down to PlusNet.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be up? Appreciate any help as I want to watch the finals of the pottery throw down that I missed yesterday!

Thanks.

Tags (2)
36 REPLIES 36
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: All4 not working on Samsung smart TV - specific to PlusNet

@paulandclaire I find that strange. My TV isn't 'smart' but I can access the C4 catch-up via my Humax box - which works through my router, just as the 'smart' apps do - with no problem.

John
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

This is a known problem, not specific to PN.

Can you update the apps on your TV ?

Comments from other users suggest it’s a problem with All4.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
jab1
Legend

Thanks for that, @gleneagles. Must admit I didn't check online, as I assumed the  - now missing - OP would have done that.

John
paulandclaire
Dabbler

Thanks @gleneagles  & @jab1 

I have updated the All4 app; well, uninstalled it and reinstalled it. If you can point me to the other users you refer to I'd be interested as I did do a search both of the web and this community before posting but didn't find anything - maybe I didn't search precisely enough. Based on what you've said I'll approach Channel 4. If I get anywhere I'll update this post.

Appreciate your inputs.

jab1
Legend

I can't point you to the other users referred to by @gleneagles , but have you had any success with the update?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

It might be a geolocation problem due to ALL4 having out of date database. We know that some geolocation databases are outbof date and incorrectly mark some plusnet ip addresses ad non-uk

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulandclaire
Dabbler

Fraid not @jab1. I reinstalled the app before I posted here. I've posted the issue with Channel 4 now so will see what comes back from them.

paulandclaire
Dabbler

Interesting - thanks for your reply. It would explain why I'm confident it started when moving to PlusNet recently (and why I posted my challenge here). It was all good when with another provider... (wont mention the competition!)

I've raised the issue with Channel 4 so I'll update this when I hear back from them - hopefully with the solution.

VBilbo

I can confirm that this is a PlusNet issue.

Same issue has been bugging me for a week. All4 app on my Samsung Snart TV worked fine up until about a week ago. Since then it stops after the adverts and eventually gives a playback error when trying to stream the actual program.

Tried it from my PC and gets exactly the same issue. So, it's not the Samsung TV.

Tried routing it via a VPN so it bypasses streaming direct over the PlusNet network and BINGO, it works fine. So the issue is with the TV stream and how it is routed over the PlusNet network.

Found this thread and thought I would let you all know my findings.

I'll ring PlusNet support tomorrow and log it as I really can't face being on hold this evening.

paulandclaire
Dabbler

Evening all,

Had a response from Channel 4 today, which says:

"We can advise that we are currently experiencing issues with our service for viewers using the PlusNet broadband service, this is getting looked into and we will hopefully have this rectified as quickly as possible.

We appreciate your patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused."

It sounds distinctly to me like @MisterW is spot on and we have to wait while Channel 4 sort out their databases.

Will keep you posted... Thanks everyone for your interest and input.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@VBilbo, I see you have since opted for a static IP address which has fixed your issue?

@paulandclaire, I suspect you would see some success in trying similar (it's a one off cost of £5 for the static IP though).

Your respective IP addresses are/were in the 147.147.x.x and 146.199.x.x ranges so seems the problem is with All4's geo-location of those addresses, or some sort of routing issue affecting the same.

Will follow-up with All4.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

VBilbo

I can confirm that the static IP fixed the issue. Support set it up for me to test. I am awaiting a phonecall to confirm after updating the ticket. Looks like the dynamic range we have been using fails All4 geolocation as Bob stated. Hopefully they will update soon and fix this issue for everyone.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Initial indications are that it might not be geo-location related. Whatever the weather, we'll try and get to the bottom of it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulandclaire
Dabbler

Thanks @bobpullen for looking into this. There are three factors here; the Samsung TV, the All4 app and the use of PlusNet. It all worked fine when I was with Talktalk a month or so ago, I can use the app perfectly well on an iPad on the same wifi back to the PlusNet Router, and other streaming apps work fine on the Samsung TV. PlusNet have accepted there's an issue, Channel Four have accepted there's an issue, the only people I haven't spoke to yet are Samsung. Is it worth me doing that? I have a (perhaps unreasonable) suspicion that I wont get as far with them!

But appreciate you continuing to pursue it for us. Do let me know if there's any other testing or info you need.

Paul