cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Akismet not working properly after host transfer

gladman
Grafter

Akismet not working properly after host transfer

The migation of my Wordpress site to the new host went pretty well and the site performance is now much better. 
But my Akismet configuration was screwed up ijn some way and I am now receiving much more SPAM than I used to.  Moreover, I have a CAPTCHA backup to Akismet which used to be so good that I almost never got any comments that were not intnetional.  This no longer appears to work and Akismet keeps reporting:
"Akismet has detected a problem. Some comments have not yet been checked for spam by Akismet. They have been temporarily held for moderation. Please check your Akismet configuration and contact your web host if problems persist."
Another issue that I have not been able to solve is that Analytics don't seem to work and simply report:
"There is no data for your domain or the Pixel-Code has not been installed correctly. Please contact our Technical Support department in order to resolve this issue."
I am posting here before raising a ticket in case these are common issues for which there are easy solutions.
10 REPLIES 10
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Akismet not working properly after host transfer

Quote from: gladman
But my Akismet configuration was screwed up ijn some way and I am now receiving much more SPAM than I used to.  Moreover, I have a CAPTCHA backup to Akismet which used to be so good that I almost never got any comments that were not intnetional.

Are there any clues when looking at the Askimet Configuration plugin settings in your Wordpress dashboard?
s reporting:
Another issue that I have not been able to solve is that Analytics don't seem to work and simply report:
"There is no data for your domain or the Pixel-Code has not been installed correctly. Please contact our Technical Support department in order to resolve this issue."

I've reported this problem to our hosting partner, I've seen a few like it. Should be fixed for your account before too long.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gladman
Grafter

Thanks for getting basck to me Bob.  I see the following symptoms.
First, when I attempt to access the Akismet. settings page, it can often take a long time to respond and then comes up with
"The key below was previously validated but a connection to akismet.com can not be established at this time. Please check your server configuration."
This suggests that Akismet's network is down and the server connectivity shows this.  But clicking on the 'check network status' at this point always shows that the network is not down (the server connectivity buttons change when the check is made), at which point leaving and re-entering the settings menu reports everything is normal.  Until the next time 😞
I am doubtful that the Akismet network is down as frequently as I am seeing this problem.
As you suggest, statistics are now working - thanks.
Added: I now find that I have another problem on the new host - the Wordpress admin bar is missing from some of my pages, which means that I am no longer given the option of editing them.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As I understand it you've sorted the admin bar problem?
The Askimet issue is particularly odd though. I've a Worpress install with Askimet installed and I'm struggling to replicate the problems. Every time I access the plugin settings everything looks rosy:

Are you using the latest Wordpress/Askimet installs? If not, can you try upgrading them to the latest versions?
There's some advice about half way down this page about checking your database for the comments that are erroring. Wondering if it might be worth your time manually removing some of these database entries?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

gladman
Grafter

I don't know why, but the admin bar only appears on pages with a ccgi address, not a cgi one.  So any link to a cgi address that is followed will instantly remove the admin bar and hence prevent editing. 
I have solved this by manually going through my site and editing all links to be of the former kind but I am not sure I have found all of them.  Apart from downloading, editing locally, deleting and uploading again, is there any easy way of doing a regex search/replace on a site 'in place'?
On the Akismet issue, it behaves itself most of the time but seems to go wrong from time to time.  II have the latest Wordpress and Akismet versions installled. 
I read the comments on the page you referenced but I have never got into SQL direcctly and don't have a clue how to do any direct database queries 😞  Is there any help available on how to interact directly with the SQL databse on the server?  If I can find how to do it, I could look through the comment IDs to see if something is wrong.
Thank you fo getting back to me on these issues.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You can view database table content by setting up phpMyAdmin (within Control Panel) or using adminer (guidance for phpMyAdmin installation here). Or even by logging into the database on MySQL Manager, but this needs some SQL familiarity to build and run SQL SELECT queries.
David
gladman
Grafter

Thanks for the information about how to delve into the SQL data.    I have not been able to follow this up as the learning curve for playing with SQL is too high at the moment.  
Sadly Akismet is still playing up and I note from other posts here that I am not alone in having this problem.  
I am wondering if there is any way of clearing out Akismet data, i.e an Akismet factory reset?
Edit:  I have attached a screen capture of what I see immediately after I get an unwanted spam report (I blanked out the key)   This shows that the Akismet server connection is down, something that happens far more frequently than I would expect (I cannot remember this ever happening with the Plusnet host)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I am wondering if there is any way of clearing out Akismet data, i.e an Akismet factory reset?

You can deactivate and delete the plugin from the Wordpress dashboard. Might be worth doing this and reinstalling?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

gladman
Grafter

Thanks, Bob, but I have already tried this.  Akismet just carries on as if nothing has happened so itb seems that this does not remove the local Akismet data 😞
jtonline
Grafter

I don't think there is anything held locally other than the plugin files in wp-content/plugins/akismet and your Akismet API Key that will be in your database.  As comments are made on your WordPress site they are sent to Akismet for checking and then sent back to your database and held as spam or published.
Akismet support pages say that to get a connection with their servers, PHP’s [tt]fsockopen[/tt] and [tt]gethostbynamel[/tt] functions must not be disabled (they are enabled by default in PHP) in any php.ini or htaccess files for your webspace.  I don't think user generated php.ini files are supported on the new ccgi servers though, so that's not likely to be the issue.
You might try asking Akismet for help - http://akismet.com/contact/
Edit: Another thought; have you tried deactivating all your other plugins temporarily to see if, since the move, one or more of them is interfering with the Akismet one?
gladman
Grafter

This issue was happening fairly regularly until about a week ago but it has not happened once in the last five days so I am hopeful that whatever was causing this has gone away.
Thanks to everyone who offerred help and advice here.