cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adminstering MySQL - what is the easiest method.

KiwiPete

Adminstering MySQL - what is the easiest method.

I am a newby to this MYSQL stuff.  I want to set up a simple database to manage a web forum I want to set up.  I am used to using MS Access but can't seem to get started on MYSQL - how to add tables, add fields, link tables etc.
I can see my the default database set up by F9 and can access this with PHP, the email I received on activation said that there was training and instructions on the MySql portal and a link provided.  I can't seem to find anything at the right level.
Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to administer a MySql database, is the portal best or is there some software to download to database to my PC and then upload back to the website.
Any tips or pointers greatly appreciated.
Thnx. Undecided
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Adminstering MySQL - what is the easiest method.

Use phpMyAdmin.
On the member centre, click tools at the bottom of the left menu, then MySQL Admin. Select your server and enter login/pass.
You can do pretty much anything you need from there including creating tables, fields, importing csv data and exporting.
KiwiPete

Thanks Peter, Up and running using the Portal, I am looking forward to getting into this.
I must admit though the cmds like the below leave me a bit baffled, Do you use these in somthing like PuTTY or CShell to administer the db one comand at a time?Huh
create db_name //Create a new database named db_name.
Thanks for your help.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

No, they are MySQL commands and can be used either using the command line MySQL client (run from the cshell prompt) or within phpMyAdmin.
Note: you cannot create any databases as it has already been done for you, but you can have as many tables and fields within the database as you like.