cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional (subdomain) DNS record has caused email to fail.

FIXED
kaspencer
Rising Star

Additional (subdomain) DNS record has caused email to fail.

I raised a Ticket question recently on how to set up a Subdomain record against one of my exisiting domains, whereby the exisistng (.com) domain would remain hosted at Plusnet, and the new Subdomain would be directed to my IP address, where I have an exisiting webserver, already hosting two sites and set up for the subdomain(s)..

The reply was unhelpful (seems to be the story at present) and suggested that I look for similar questions on the Forum. I did that, and found lots of them. So I followed the advice and set two new "A" records in the following manner:

1st additional subdomain (example)
===========================

Left field:        mySubdomain.myPlusNetDomain.com.     Type:     Pri: (blank)      Right field:   my IP address

2nd additional subdomain (example)
============================

Left field: www.mySubdomain.myPlusNetDomain.com.     Type: A      Pri: (blank)      Right field:   my IP address

I tried contacting the two subdomains immediately (having read that some users noted the change straight away), and neither was available. The site myPlusNetDomain.com continued to be available. I then left the situation overnight and retried this morning. However, neither of the subdomains are available. But there is now an email issue on the domain which I must resolve urgently.

The Urgent Issue: these changes have had an unfortunatel side effect: they have stopped my email addresses from functioning. On sending an email to an address in myPlusNetDomain.com my email client now receives the following message:
550 <mailbox-alias@myPlusNetDomain.com> sender rejected - invalid domain (no MX or A record).

So can anyone at all suggest exactly what I need in the fields for the added subdomains? And what must I do to restore my email service to correct operation?

I have been unable to locate the Tutorials and the DNS help which has been mentioned in a few posts on this topic - it appears that PlusNet does not pay enough attention to internal site management and update.

I shall be most grateful for any help!

Kenneth Spencer

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Additional (subdomain) DNS record has caused email to fail.

Moderators Note

This topic has been released from the spam filter

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
kaspencer
Rising Star

@dvorak Thank you for that. I have JUST posted a repeat request which I will now delete!

Kenneth Spencer

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@kaspencer if you drop me a private message and describe what records you want creating on what domains then I'll take a look.

It isn't obvious from looking at your account now the records have been removed.

PS. the MX record you have created will not work; you've pointed it to an invalid domain name. I would suggest removing all of the custom MX records and email should be restored back to defaults overnight. 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kaspencer
Rising Star

@bobpullen Although I could send emails properly earlier on today, when I sent the message to you, I am afraid that at the moment email sending is not working. There is no error at the time of sending (which was ocurring before), this time the error is sent back as a "Mail delivery failed, Returning message".

I will send the full text of the error to you in a Private Message.

Thanks for your help

Kenneth Spencer

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

Thanks @kaspencer - have just replied to your message.

I can see the problem.

That said, email should be working now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kaspencer
Rising Star

@bobpullen Thanks for your help Bob.

EMAIL: This morning I am able to send an email to myself (email receipt has always been fine), so it looks as though the email issues are now resolved.

SUBDOMAIN: I can ping the new subdomain, so I know that the new DNS addition is fine, and that when I enable the new subdomain on the server I fully expect it to work straight away, so that's all fine too.

I owe you a pint - tell me if you are ever planning to visit W Wiltshire!

Thanks again,

Kenneth Spencer