Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a second website to my PN account

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Adding a second website to my PN account

I have had a look back thru the forum, and have seen a previous post on this subject, it generally covers what I want to do, but there was a warning when I went to "reply" stating it was not posted in for at least 120 days, and suggested I start a new topic....
As this question wasn`t raised, perhaps this a new topic...
When I add the two subfolders to my htdocs folder, and do the "re-direct" in domain names, it says I must wait 24 hours for it to become effective...... does this mean that my original, existing, website becomes "unavailable" for viewing on the www for 24 hours?
6 REPLIES 6
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Adding a second website to my PN account

The way I'd get around this is to create the new folders, copy the information for your current domain into it's new folder (and leave it in it's current place too) and then use the domain system to point your domain at this folder. After 24-48 hours you should be safe to remove the original copy of your website files without disrupting your site in any way.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the answer Chris.... What I wanted to do was to put another site up at the same time.... I have two sites  shutter plus com and nemosphotography.... at the moment,  what I want to do is to utilise the address shutter plus for a "test" site, whilst keeping the original site up and running.... eventually the two sites would be running side by side, but different content.... My original query was about the 24 hours.... will my nemos site "go down" for 24 hours after making the two "sub folders" and doing the domain pointing, or will it still be available "live" with no interuption?
Chris
Legend

If I'm completely honest, I'm not sure. I'll go test on my domains though as there isn't any useful content there anyway.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
shutter
Community Veteran

Ok thanks..... I`m in no panic for the answer..... I`m just thinking ahead, to when I need to make the changes vvia ftp to the htdocs folder, etc.... Thanks for the effort....
will await your verdict..... If you think it may take a couple of days, perhaps a PM to me might be in order. ! ! Wink
Chris
Legend

Rightyo, I've tested this quickly.
My domain was pointing at the root of my htdocs space. I created a new folder in there called testdir and then went to point my domain at this. As I type now my domain is still serving the pages from the root of htdocs.
Therefore it's a good bet that if you point your domain at a folder on your webspace it will continue serving the files from it's previous location until DNS updates occur.
I still think the original way I suggested would be the easiest one to use. Create a new folder, duplicate your current files for nemos and then point the domain at this folder. Once this has updated (24 hours) you can delete the files in the root of htdocs and reupload your test site in place.
shutter
Community Veteran

Ah, yes, I see where you are pointing me now..... That way, I have two chances of the domain pointing during the 24/48 hour change over period, and after a couple more days, I empty the original out, to use for the "test" site...
Nice one...... Thanks a lot.... Wink Smiley