cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing CGI from outside

finko

Accessing CGI from outside

I have my plusnet account in the UK but now live in spain. I access plusnet through the portal but now want to access cgi for my websites. Tech help gave me the following reply to the question of how to access cgi:
'Our ccgi server can only be accessed from our servers. You would need to dialup to our connection or proxy from another plusnet connection. You will then be able to upload these files.'
I accept this but can anyone tell me how I make the connection they are talking about? I have a basic ADSL connection on my phone (spain is way behind the UK) so how can I get at my cgi space?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Regards
Finko
5 REPLIES 5
ffupi
Grafter

Re: Accessing CGI from outside

Hello
It would be wrong to post anything on this forum in regards to the question. All the posts are in the public.
I do not know why PlusNet has put the new forum on the general Internet - but it will come as a shock to people when they realise that. The functionality of the forum is greatly hampered by that. I certainly would not have asked many questions in the "old" forum.
See here: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52452
Cheers
finko

Thanks for the help guys. Grin
ffupi
Grafter

Just send you a PM with more details.
finko

Got it, thanks, but still don't understand how to do things with php. I will research for tutorials. I already use an ftp program, FTP Commander, to upload my webpages stuff to plusnet but want to use some interactive features such as forms to mail etc.
Cheers
ffupi
Grafter

FTP Commander, if it is the free one, has very limited capabilities. It cannot deal with chmod, an essential when dealing with php. Another thing is, that it has the tendency to loose somewhere a single file (cannot remember which one), and then it wont connect. It took me a week to find what the problem is.
FileZilla is OpenSource and can do anything you need.
In the forum are other recommended ones.
All these programs are on the home computer, and for to upload is a connection through PlusNet required.