cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to webspace when?

Walter
Rising Star

Access to webspace when?

Ok, I have tried to follow the guides and tried a bit of security and uploaded a few samples to my webspace, not webpages just files.  I used IE7, which was most straight forward.  I can see these files and open them if I logon using ftp://mysite...  but if I try www.mysite... ;   I get a standard Plusnet index page saying:-
'This web address has not yet had a web page uploaded to it. If this is your web space and would like to know how to start building your website, you'll find lots of help from the PlusNet technical support section [more] "
How do I get past this or do I have to wait for some response from Plusnet.  Do I have to delete or redesign the index.html and put a new link to the 'htdocs'?  A help link would be appreciated if that is the case.
I have since authorised 'Front Page' which apparently does take several days, but did I need to do that?
Any assistance appreciated. Cry

10 REPLIES 10
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Access to webspace when?

At the very least you need to replace the index.htm holding page with one of your own.
If you wish to use Microsoft Frontpage to build your site then enabling Frontpage Extensions as you have requested is required. However there are many other packages available that you can use to build a site without frontpage extensions enabled. You can easily turn off Frontpage Extensions again if you wish.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Walter
Rising Star

Thanks for your reply Strat.
I'm happy to use IE7 as that can open the htdocs file.  Does that mean I don't need 'Front Page Extensions' and is it best left 'off'?
I can edit the index.html but I've not seen any reference how to refer to the folders I have already uploaded and want to access from the web.  Do I just delete  the index file? Any pointers there would help me forward.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Generally speaking you can only access pure files, i.e text or JPG, with a program that is stored on the remote server, but some can be accessed if there is no index.html or index.htm in the directory, it will then bring up a listing of the files in that folder, which you can click on and open, I have never tried it but I doubt that you can modify the files this way.
FTP is the correct way of accessing the files stored on the remote server
Walter
Rising Star

Thanks Pierre_pierre, that got me over one hurdle.
Strange non of the guides could mention that!
I renamed the index file and have now got www. access to my files and info from any computer.  It contains .doc, .rtf , html, bookmarks and jpg which I can access with the necessary  properties/permissions set.  If I can read them I can use them or save them locally OK.
The idea is not to be able to modify the files, (which I can do on my base computer) but give me and others with permission to have access.  I have tried some password protection but have not got that working yet.  I need some further help on that so I will try again as a password protection should work conveniently.  The trouble with having encrypted files using a programme is the need to carry a decrypt programme to get access.  Any suggestions?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Strange non of the guides could mention that!
That because you are a Pre 68 Scout
Walter
Rising Star

Pre 48 if I told the truth!  Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Walter
What are you using to upload files.
I usually use FireFTP an add on in Firefox and find it easy to manage my webspace with.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont think he has trouble uploading, He is using the space as a store for files, it is control (security) and letting friends read the files.
samuria
Grafter

You can get to your files by typing the full url so if you make a directory spain and put a file fred.jpg in it you can get it by typing http://www.walter.plus.com/spain/fred.jpg. No one would know the file was there so unless you tell people very few would find it unless google picks it up so in its self this could work
The simple way with the files is to zip them with a password as nothing is needed then you just tell your friends the password.
You can password protect directories on the server but if you have a lot of files and friends it may be a problem keeping up. If we had an idea of what you hope to do we could advise better
Walter
Rising Star

Well Strat I'm using IE7 which has ftp ability.  ( My Firefox is ver3B which has no ftp plugin yet maybe I could go back to ver2).
I did have straight access to my files earlier this evening using the www. address, the object being for others and myself to have restricted access to some files.  Maybe it takes the server a while to update itself as now the password facility using the Webspace Guide and setting permissions via 'properties' has certainly stopped any  www. access now (sadly I want it, and the permissions should allow it but no password is requested)
I can see '.' files in the normal Explorer in my computer but not in IE7 during ftp access.  ( uploaded .htaccess .htpasswd using the Plusnet link http://users.plus.net/htpasswd/ ).  So now I need to edit or remove those files.  If I cant do it in IE7 then I'll have to use another ftp programme.
Thanks samuria for the zip password solution, that is something I'll have to try as it looks simple. I trust you can appreciate my objective now.