cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aargh! Plusnet have edited my source files and broken my programs

aenea
Grafter

Aargh! Plusnet have edited my source files and broken my programs

On the recent changeover to the new CGI platform, Plusnet appear to have tried to help by editing some of my source files. The edits seem to be a systematic change of 'ccgi.dunbarney.plus.com' (my domain name) to 'ccgi.ccgidunbar930514.plus.com' where 'ccgidunbar930514' is my new username for my MySQL database on the new platform. This breaks all my internal  hyperlinks and POST actions.
Having found the obvious corrupted files and fixed them I'm now faced with wading my way through all my files to check for further errors.
Unless PlusNet can provide me with a list of files they have 'doctored'?
Postscript: Having just done a quick grep of my files and established that there are at least 154 files that will have been affected, I have now raised a support ticket with PlusNet making the request that my files are restored to their original state.
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Aargh! Plusnet have edited my source files and broken my programs

Sorry about this Sad
Probably quicker for you to pull the old content from the Plusnet CGI servers and upload it again.
I'm going to try and find out why this happened though because it's the first instance I've seen.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

aenea
Grafter

I am still struggling with this. In the migration process, a global edit was made to all my files changing 'dunbarney' to 'ccgidunbar930514' regardless of the context. This corrupted hyperlinks, email addresses, include files, name of the .css file, etc.
Initially I had a very prompt response from Plusnet who agreed to restore my files to their original state but, alas, the restore was incomplete - only some files were fixed, others retained the erroneous edit. After an abortive attempt at sorting out the files myself (not very impressed by the new File Manager, it's rather awkward to use and seems to have a mind of its own at times), I asked PlusNet to have another go at restoring all my files to their pre-migration content. That was Tuesday, since when complete silence from Plusnet, despite several further pleas for help from me.
Not impressed  Sad
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We'll try and sort.  I'll nudge someone tomorrow.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
Really sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'll speak to Bob about this to ensure we get this resolved as soon as possible for you.
If you could leave this with me, I'll post back once I've got a little more information for you.
aenea
Grafter

I am getting more and more confused. I have been away from home Fri 28th Feb - Tue 4th March. Before I left (i.e. on Thu 27th) I edited some of the main php files in my web site to get the core back working again and also displayed a message on the login page to alert users to potential problems.
Whilst I was away (on Sat 1st March) I tried to access my web site and got an error (unable to access database) that made me think that my request to restore the original files had been actioned. Heaving a bit of a sigh of frustration, since I was unable to do anything to the files whilst away, I reconciled myself to leaving things until my return.
Back home today, the problems I experienced on Saturday have disappeared and, once more, I am able to access the core web site without errors. Very strange.
Then, when I tried to access my files, I found that the FTP password no longer worked. I logged in to Control Panel and reset the FTP password and now, when I look at my files, they appear to be exactly the same as they were as I left them on Thursday 27th.
What on earth is going on?
Please don't make any further changes to my files without checking with me first.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your file and database content *should* have been restored to its state as of late Friday afternoon (28/02/2014) when a Hostopia "incident" caused content to revert to that approximately a week old. That incident would have affected what you saw on Saturday. On Monday afternoon things were put back as they should be, but this meant any file or database updates made between those times were lost.
This event is mentioned in a number of topics but this one probably outlines most of the story.
David
David
aenea
Grafter

Thanks for that update. That explains what happened. Hope these are just teething problems with the new platform. I'd have been pretty hacked off if I had lost database updates as seems to have happened for others.