Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASP v PHP

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

ASP v PHP

We have a site that was written for us in ASP and looking around hosting sites PHP seems a more 'portable' format.
The question is what, if any are the advantages of ASP over PHP.
I had a look at converting the site (I did look at ASP2PHP) but not knowing either language well, backed off for now.
Hope the subject line doesn't fall foul of the capitalisation rule... Undecided
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
5 REPLIES 5
Pod
Grafter

Re: ASP v PHP

The vast majority of sites can be written equally well in either PHP or ASP, although Microsoft endeavour to make some aspects appear as if you "need" ASP or IIS in real life practice, you very rarely do, unless the customer "requires" them.
The conversion of most pages from ASP to PHP is quite trivial, I have done this a number of times on fairly small (under 100 pages) sites, and therefore wouldn't suggest spending much upon such a conversion - most of it can be automated from scratch with some well chosen regular expressions driving the conversion (ie by a good techy geek), what remains will take more time and effort, but not much.
There are just a few things that have to be re-written as they embody "MS-think" so thoroughly that they really benefit from reimplementation rather than transcription - those are the things MS claim are "impossible" to do using PHP MySQL and Apache - but in my limited experience that just isn't true as long as you use the alternatives in their native, intended, manner (ie not in a "MS-think" way).
Note I'm not judging either ASP or PHP they are both capable and useful scripting languages, likewise MS's products and the alternatives can on the whole do much the same things, with one being better for some tasks and the alternative(s) better for others, horses for courses and all that  Cheesy
If you are very new to ASP or PHP, then sure you have some learning to do and dependent upon your previous knowledge and experience it may seem hard, but any reasonable and interested person should be able to grasp the basics quite easily and quickly. If you would like some book recommendations, I and others can suggest some, others find books hard to learn from, as I'm not one of those I can't answer to that  Wink
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Thanks Pod Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mal0z
Grafter

I'm certainly no expert - but a few years ago when I made the decision to use php - it was based largely on:
it is open source, and very well supported by the community
NOT somewhat proprietry and controlled by one company - MS.
designed to intigrate very well with Apache and MySQL,
And isn't basic ASP effectively a dead end and not being developed - replaced with ASP.NET ??
I recognise my views  maybe based on insufficient knowledge - but I have read many debates about this subject on many forums and php seemed to be the most widely supported.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Would it be fair to say that the bits of ASP that are more difficult to port to PHP are likely to be the parts that will only work in Internet Explorer and not in standards compliant browsers?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SoulBriski
Grafter

I think what mal0z has said sums this situation up perfectly.
I would echo everything he has said as my experience is vewry similar.
I wrote a web portal in ASP for our sales team. As a VB programmer it was very easy for me to adapt to it but I had more of a problem learning how to host it on the company server using IIS etc.
Because my next project was for myself on the PlusNet server that doen't cater for ASP, i had to learn PHP which I also soon got to grips with but overall, the support and wider community makes PHP better all round for me.
All in all, i think the functionality of either system is pretty equal but my preference is PHP