Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35 years to discover a faulty wired Master socket

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

35 years to discover a faulty wired Master socket

When we moved in, 35 years ago, like most people, we only had phones.

We have not touched the wiring as it normally works OK.

Even switching providers (BT, 02, Sky, Virgin and PlusNet) and getting the internet, yesterday I discovered the test socket on the master socket, is not wired, so the test socket is useless!

Maybe things will get better or is this a case of it's working, so don't touch?

35 years to discover a problem35 years to discover a problem

22 REPLIES 22
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: 35 years to discover a faulty wired Master socket

Well it was connected at some point @Leapy as you can see by the broken wires around the screw heads. So someone's been at it, meaning it could have been anyone of the engineers that have turned up in that time so take your pick!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

That doesn't look like a genuine BT NTE5 socket to me, the test socket is offset on a BT socket. Have you got any other sockets in the house ?

Looks like someone has tried to connect what appears to be a master socket, as an extension by not using the A & B terminals. They've failed!.

The 'test' socket you refer to must be live because the faceplate plugs into it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Are you sure thats your master socket?
It looks like its been wired as an extention. Is there an old GPO/BT socket near where the phone line enters the building?
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Bogbody @MisterW That is the one next to the front door, where the wire from the telegraph pole comes in and it's the only one that has a two part front and a test socket.  All the others (3) just extension sockets.

@Mook I don't think we have ever had any Telecoms Engineers enter and look at it as each switch has been done without a visit, and they all just send you a router. 

One interesting point, is that wherever the router goes either on the master or extensions, it works exactly the same. Sad The only reason I'm looking at it now is because, I'm on PlusNet Fibre Extra my download is limited to under 40mbps and the upload, shows a possible 20mbps, but that is always under 8mbps.

pnfibreextra.pngprofile pn.png

Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@MisterW @Bogbody  FYI - The Master socket has a number AC749297 and a  "T" logo on the front. I have no idea if it's genuine or not, but it doesn't look right and I presume I'm missing some electronics from the test circuit?Shocked

Telecom.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Leapy Ahh! I hadn't appreciated that in the first picture, the wires were connected to the faceplate, rather than the backplate.

That IS a genuine BT NTE5 BUT its definitely not wired correctly. As @Bogbody  says that's not the master socket, its wired as an extension. Well in fact it's wired VERY strangely, normally the incoming cable would be wired to the A & B terminals and the wires from the faceplate are to feed other extensions.. That doesn't look like the incoming BT cable , it wouldn't normally be white 6 core cable. You must have another socket or joint box where the incoming cable is connected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Leapy wrote:

Sad The only reason I'm looking at it now is because, I'm on PlusNet Fibre Extra my download is limited to under 40mbps and the upload, shows a possible 20mbps, but that is always under 8mbps.

pnfibreextra.png

Maybe 40 / 10? FWIW, My upload speed shows a possible 25Mb/s but it never goes above 20Mb (usually 19.99!)

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi  Leapy

If that socket is where the connection comes in from outside there are only two wires connected

So how are the three extensions getting their connection from the master

There must be a connection somewhere else how many wires are connected in the extensions

When you get an incoming call do all the phones ring together

Any chance of a picture

HD

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro

Thats definately NOT the master socket.
If the cables come straight in from the pole then Bodger has been very busy.
🙂
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@Bogbody @Anonymous  The  black thick Telegraph Pole Cable comes through the window frame and into the small box with a T on it (see  first photo below), that white cable from it, runs down to the  bigger Master socket (also with a T on it, as shown in previous photos).

All the  3 extensions are like this one (see second photo below). 

When we moved in all 4 extensions only had phones/fax and rang. I think, there was an issue as all phones (and fax machines) had to be REN1 to ring and work and some phones/fax machines didn't have clear REN ratings. https://www.britishtelephones.com/ren.htm

Inside connection to outside black cable from Telegraph Pole. White cable leads to Master Socket boxInside connection to outside black cable from Telegraph Pole. White cable leads to Master Socket boxAn extension boxAn extension box

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So where are the cables to the extension sockets ?

In a correctly wired system , the extension sockets are wired from the faceplate on the master socket, but as has been mentioned previously , there is only one cable going to the 'master' socket.

Looks like you've almost certainly got some form of 'star' wiring , which is very likely affecting your speed.

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro

Some one in the past has removed and "old style" GPO socket or even a hard wired fixed phone and replaced it with a bodged in "new style" BT plug in socket.
Unless there is some hidden old wiring connected in somewhere.
Time to involve BT (Warning - potential cost involved!!!) or a competant person well versed in fixing BT bodges. 😀😀
Leapy
Seasoned Champion

@MisterW wrote:

So where are the cables to the extension sockets ?

In a correctly wired system , the extension sockets are wired from the faceplate on the master socket, but as has been mentioned previously , there is only one cable going to the 'master' socket.

Looks like you've almost certainly got some form of 'star' wiring , which is very likely affecting your speed.

@MisterW There is only one cable going to the master socket and that is the white cable from the outside Telegraph Pole.

The cabled going from the master socket goes to the extension via that faceplate adaptor interface cable (see photo). Note two cables, one in from service provider and one out to daisy chain extensions.

The photo of the extension box is correct for all three boxes, but the last one (that was photographed), is the end of the daisy chain and does not have an extension lead and interface, because it is the end.

Master socket, with extension  plugged in to face plate.Master socket, with extension plugged in to face plate.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Leapy So let me get this straight🙄

The incoming line is wired to the back of the faceplate on the 'master' socket, the extension wiring is wired to an adapter which is plugged in to the front of the faceplate.

Why would anyone do that ?. The incoming line should be wired to the A & B terminals on the master socket backplate, the extension wiring is wired to the faceplate, no adapter required !!

Unless , the master socket was faulty in some way and the A & B terminals didn't work?.

Anyway, do you normally plug the router into the master socket ? If you do, then I'd suggest replacing the whole kit and kaboodle with a NTE5C and Mk4 filtered faceplate.