cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 domains one Database 3 Joomla websites

Word_Warrior
Grafter

3 domains one Database 3 Joomla websites

Has anybody succeeded in creating more than one Joomla web site on the Plesk server?
I created my first website using domain 1 and mysql db1_ prefix within my alloted db
I now want to create two more Joomla sites but of course we only get one db but I can give them different prefix's like you could in the old ccgi set up. However I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this, I'm sure it's simple and I really don't want to trouble PN plesk hero Kev anymore.
Has anyone managed to build two or more Joomla sites on the one account.
Kev has created the directories for the new domain 2 and domain 3 and I've created the login for one of them and unpacked the tar file using cron in the correct httpdocs directory. I need to create a sub db but I'm stumped. Roll_eyes
Help please.
3 REPLIES 3
gollum
Grafter

Re: 3 domains one Database 3 Joomla websites

I had the same problem yesterday (I think it is the same problem). I had been playing with the new platform and am impressed at the improved speed compared to the old ccgi one. I had installed joomla, CMS Made Simple and Wordpress in 3 separate subdirectories in the default <username>.plushost.co.uk domain by specifying different table prefixes for each and all was well.
I then added an additional domain and was completely stumped as to what to do next. I wanted another joomla instance in this domain so I installed it in the normal way noting that I had to use the ftp username appropriate for the new domain and which was different than that for the default domain. Next I ran the joomla automated installer and noted that when entering the database information I used the information relevant to the default domain AND THEN used the advance option on that page to specify a different database table prefix to something other than the default jos_ which was alaready in use. Everything proceeded normally. The same information can be entered in the configuration.php file if you are doing a manual joomla install.
So then I had a joomla instance pointed to by the new domain name. So the trick is to use the same database (I only have one on the free product) information for all joomla installations BUT to use different database table prefixes. It does work!
I hope that makes it a bit clearer.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Yes, I believe sub directories would work but my dilemma, folders in the root ie, directory1.co.uk, directory2.biz etc to match domain names currently pointing to ccgi but until new site is set up I can't point the domain.
i have since discovered, with enormous help from Kev Mawson that to do this there is a paths problem that as far as I can ascertain can't be overcome by us mere mortals. However, if for example you build the site in username.plushost.co.uk then "install" Joomla, the paths thing is not a problem. Then get support in the shape of plesk super hero Kev to point the domain when you are good and ready.
(Thanks to Kev for this insight and all his help)
Then, I'm assuming a similar process can take place with the others later. The conclusion is of course, you can't do it like you could in ccgi  Sad
I'm getting there with mine but it ain't as simple to do IMHO.
Oh, I overlooked the db bit. Of course, when you "install" Joomla in this way you can specify the db and allocate a prefix in the setup process. So for example you tell Joomla to use "mydatabase_" and in the setup tell it to be whatever prefix you want like "mysubdatabase_" or else it will give the default jos_ which of course will overwrite or depending on how you look at it 'screw up' your existing sub db.
My brain hurts now, time for a beer, g'nite.
glyndev
Grafter

Hi guy's.
I have managed multiple Drupal sites with 1 codebase and 1 database.
It is mainly to do with the DNS and so partly will apply to joomla or any other multisite capable software.
Have a look at http://www.devonports.plus.com/TUTORIAL/tutorial.html for a guide that i have written.
To demonstrate the DNS have a look at http://www.history-for.me.uk/ ; (a site i was creating on ccgi server)
and http://history-for.me.uk/ (new install on the plesk server.)