cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Accounts - CCGI and CGI - Which to use?

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

2 Accounts - CCGI and CGI - Which to use?

I seem to have two accounts created. One starts ccgi and the other cgi. I'm guessing it should be ccgi as all references I see in the migration notes refer to ccgi.
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: 2 Accounts - CCGI and CGI - Which to use?

The physical space each maps to is this same so it doesn't really matter. There are separate instances of the MySQL/FTP Manager etc. however the File Manager for each should be the same?
Basically http://cgi.username.plus.com and http://ccgi.username.plus.com point to the same place.
Does that make things a little clearer?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks Bob. Yes that's clear. I noticed that what I did on one seemed to match the other but good to have that confirmed.
stuck
Rising Star

I too see both a ccgi and a cgi and from the above posts I now know it doesn't matter which I use, so I'll stick with ccgi but I have another question about cgi duplicates...
If I use the File Manager to look at the directory structure then in the left hand pane under \publc I see a folder called \CGI-BIN and a folder called \cgi-bin but in the right hand pane only the \cgi-bin folder is listed.  The contents of  \CGI-BIN and \cgi-bin appear to be the same (some pictures and a folder holding thumbnails).  Is that the way it is supposed to look?  Or can I delete \public\CGI-BIN and leave only \public\cgi-bin.  Or should I delete both because above \public in the left hand pane, i.e. within the root \ folder, there is another \cgi-bin folder (that one is empty).
stuck
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

On Plusnet ccgi  /cgi-bin was just an ordinary folder within the webroot ( / ). On Hostopia the webroot is /public and (the currently empty) /cgi-bin is parallel to it. So a relative reference from the webroot to ./cgi-bin wouldn't work. In case users have code that uses such references Hostopia have created directories to suit.
A URL like http://domain.com/cgi-bin/myprog.pl will be directed by the server configuration to the real /cgi-bin (which is empty). To cope with that you should find there's a .htaccess file in / with a mod-rewrite directive to send the request to /public/CGI-BIN/myprog.pl. However /public/CGI-BIN is a soft link to /public/cgi-bin where myprog.pl will be found.
It sounds complicated, but does/should work (hopefully my logic is correct  Huh ).
If you are satisfied none of your code requires /cgi-bin to be below the webroot (/public), and its contents do not include any PHP files you can move the content of /public/cgi-bin to the real /cgi-bin, remove /public/cgi-bin and /public/CGI-BIN, and disable  the .htaccess in /. The site should then function normally.
However it's up to you whether you want to follow this through, only yourself knows how your site works.
David
stuck
Rising Star

Quote from: spraxyt
....only yourself knows how your site works.

Grin  Grin  Grin  If only that were true!  I know only enough to be dangerous.
However, thank you, from what you say I think I can safely pull the plug on the both of my \public\cgi-bin folders.
stuck