Did you mean: 

£1 Domain help

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

£1 Domain help

Hi
So I have a website - www.site-for-eyes.puzl.com
and was wondering if I can transfer this website onto my ne £1 .co.uk domain?
Also why do I need to pay via credit/debit card and can it not just be added onto my bill and taken off by DD?
I'm quite new to all these domains etc... as I've always gone through a registrar
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: £1 Domain help

It would appear that you can register and host it for email only - no webspace included
Is that what you want
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hi OldJim
I didn't see your post before you edited.
I'm not going to bother transferring the site etc... As I'm paying 1&1 since 2000 for a website that DOES need updating(I bet you think it does as well!) www.site-for-eyes.co.uk
However I'm trying to set up the £1 domain for email use to give to family members ending in @danjoux6.co.uk
However Plusnet's domain wizard is coming back as "We are having problems checking if your domain is available"
I've checked with WHOIS which says that it timed out on searching and entering it into URL just says 'can't find server' as if it doesn't exist.
So it is not going smoothly!
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's probably because www.nominet.org.uk appears to be down!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Since it's been up - the registration has been successful for www.danjoux6.co.uk
It's now awaiting approval from the registrar
NE
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Hi,
I've given it some thought and decided that I feel that I don't want the '6' on my domain name - due to some family members feeling they have been left out.
Is it possible to ditch the domain and register for a new one? preferably www.danjoux.co.uk and not www.danjoux6.co.uk
OR can plusnet just adjust the domain name?
This is for email purposes at the moment, I'm looking at creating a website as well under that domain - not Site For Eyes - a family website.
Regards
NE
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The domain danjoux6.co.uk is registered and yours until Nov 2016.  
There's nothing stopping you registering the domain danjoux.co.uk as well, assuming it's available.  You could use any registrar for this but you'll need to sort out email hosting to go with it.  You could register the domain through PN but they charge a small fortune to do so when compared with other providers.
Regarding web hosting, you'll need a hosting provider as PN don't give you any webspace.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Can I not use the existing £1 offer for the domain?
If not I'll not bother changing it  Roll_eyes
Please can you advise me of a good (and free) hosting provider?
If I use one of these providers can I somehow link my domain to the new personal website? I've come across domain mapping and forward and masking.  Please may you explain these terms?
Thanks
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

You can't use the £1 domain for the new domain as you've already used it for the other domain.
Good and free hosting providers are few and far between, I think you need to take some time to figure out what it is you want to do with your domain and what you want to use it for before making any decisions.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Good point Chris
I was thinking of getting rid of my existing domain then get a domain without the 6 in it.  However I understand you have to wait until you renew.
I would like to have a website with the domain - but is there any facility where I can upload my work - I have been using dreamweaver and found I'm quite good at it  so in theory is it possible to upload this work onto my domain?
May I ask again what domain mapping is or forward and masking?
Regards
NE
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

PN do not provide any web space for hosting your site.  As I mentioned in your other thread, you'll need to arrange space with another provider and use the PN DNS tools to point to the hosting server.
I echo Chris' point that you need to work out what you want to achieve before proceeding any further.  My suspicion is that you'd be better off abandoning your newly registered domain name and looking at alternative providers for both web space and email.