cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who is it from?

N/A

who is it from?

In the same way you can use the whois engine to lookup who owns a domain, you can also use it to lookup who owns an IP address.

First you need to know what IP address the host resolves to, then you can perform a whois on it.

As for reporting it. You may try, but holding your breath may be fun.
3 REPLIES
Brickinit
Grafter

who is it from?

i'm getting infected e-mails to my personal account but i can't workout whom it is from the addy is. ?@dsl-80-41-163-179.access.as9105.com does this make any sence to anybody. i'm assuming a friend is probably infected as i don't give ( directly ) my personal address
N/A

who is it from?

This could even be a friend of a friend of a friend.......

If a friend CC's a message to several people, your address may be revieled to another party. If that message is then forwarded, with your address quoted somehow, it may go on and and on and on.

This is expeciaily true for joke or warning messages, which normaly goto groups.

Viruses may read those e-mails and gain a list of a addresses.

That is another possible theory, which makes it harder to track who is infested. But back to the original question fo tracking that person.

dsl-80-41-163-179.access.as9105.com
as9105.com is owned and managed by Tiscali UK

80.41.163.179 is the IP associated with the host, which is also owned by Tiscali UK.

That sums up which ISP this is from, provided you have picked the correct originating host.
Brickinit
Grafter

who is it from?

thanks for thereply phillip narrowing it down to tiscali has helped no end.
how do you find out who the ISP is useing certain IP? it could come in handy for other times, should i report this to Tiscali so they can let their customer know?