cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats the best way to move imap data from one isp to another

Community Veteran

i've just moved my domain away from pn and am currently moving my folders etc. by copying the contents is there a quicker way to move the data from pn imap to my new hosts imap.

Many thanks

A
5 REPLIES
N/A

I just tried and messed up downloading my IMAP folders to OE. I have a separate mailbox name for IMAP so I set up an OE account for it and synchronised. All my IMAP emails were downloaded to OE in a matter of minutes. You have to set the folders to 'new messages' to make this work.

What I should have done then was copied the downloaded emails to non-IMAP folders using 'Select all' then 'Copy'.
'Select all' needs a bit poking to work. This works cos I just tested it. The stupid mistake I made was to delete the files on IMAP not realising that the synchronisation meant that they were deleted on OE as well the next time I ran OE. So I lost all my IMAP email. A silly mistake. The emails dont matter much cos I had already Forwarded the important ones to OE but it makes me feel silly.

So set up an IMAP account on OE. I use a different email address for my IMAP work so you may have problems there. Synchronise which creates folders etc. Then set folders etc to 'New messages'. Synchronise again which will download your emails. Copy your emails away from IMAP using 'Select all'. Then you have done it.

Your only problem that I dont know about is your username on IMAP if it is not different from that on OE. (By username I really mean mailbox).

Hope this helps. Sorry about waffling.
N/A

I should have said to create an IMAP account in OE go to Tools then to Accounts then Add in Mail.
Community Veteran

i copied them out of imap account one straight into imap account 2 using copy paste.

it took for ever, I'm sure I made an easier job of it the last time.

Thankss for your help.

A
N/A

Glad you got it done anyway. I had hundreds of emails so it would have been impractable for me. But I goofed it.

If anybody does it remove the IMAP account from OE after copying cos it slows OE down too much. Move might cause funny things to happen so Copy is safer.

And for Select All click on a file in the folder to be copied then Edit - Select All then Edit - Copy.
N/A

I should have said that the reason I tried to move my IMAP folders to OE was that PN had archived them saying that I had emails unaccessed for over 180 days in them. I asked PN to return the folder contents (the folders were now empty) and they did on condition that I purged the folders of old emails.