cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

welshchris.plus.com - got a virus???

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

According to my firewall, welshchris.plus.com tried to access my computer 62 times last week :shock:

Does that make him a hacker or a poor soul with a virus who doesn't know it??

Looking back over the logs there are actually quite a few plus.com addresses in there (although not usually as many attempts!) Why are they there? What does it mean?

EDIT: Found another 'regular offender' - dominicpriestly.plus.com - umpteen attempts from him too :?: :?:
6 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Did they actually try to access the machine, or are they just ICMP packets?. If you are unsure, please get yourself a traffic monitor such as "What is Transferring" and keep an eye on the packets.

What is Transferring
http://www.wfshome.com/wit.htm
Community Veteran

Look at it this way, if they where logged by the firewall, they not get through!

The most likely explanation is that they have a virus on their machine, if some one was attempting to hack your machine (targeting your personally), you would see connections attempts to a large number of port in a short space on time.

Viral activity general only uses a small number of ports but over a longer time. Until they remove the virus.

This is only very basic rule of thumb.

The reason that all attempts look like they are coming from *.plus.com machines, is because Plus.Net block most inbound attempts at their perimeter.

Chilly
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Did they actually try to access the machine, or are they just ICMP packets?.

Don't know what they are Shockedops: but another look at McAfee logs says they are 'ICMP Pings'

...and as Chillypenguin says they didn't get through, so no worries - I was just curious.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

You can generally ignore ICMP pings anyway, just as an FYI .... or do as I do and block them at the router/FW Smiley
N/A

You could always email the guy to let him know !
shellsong
Grafter

Or PM them! "Did you know your computer is trying to seduce my computer!"