cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

website tester help needed

N/A

Hi, I seem to be having problems viewing my own website after changing the host. Other people can see the new site, and the host company have suggested it might be because my ISP (plusnet) has a cached copy stored. Could someone also on plusnet please have a look at www.creativeballoons.net & go to the page 'latest news' If it is the new site, it should show an URL of .creativeballoons.net/news.htm, and will say 'now hosted by UK2' as the first piece of news. If it is the old site, that won't be on there, and the URL will either just show as the site home, or possible as a geocities address.

Many thanks in advance if anyone is able to help me test this.

Carosd
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I get the new site. Have you cleared out your browser cache as it may be your system to blame. I can't see how PlusNet can be the cause unless you are talking about caching the DNS entry, which for me is not the case.

It does take between 24 & 48 hours for any DNS changes to propagage to all DNS servers and sometimes a week before caching DNS servers are refreshed properly.

One comment if I may... I can't read most of the text on the site due to the font used and I may not be the only one. You can probably read it OK because you are used to the text but I find it very difficult to read myself.
N/A

thanks, I'll try resetting my router then, and I take onboard your comments re. font - husband's choice!
Community Veteran

Yes I agree with Peter.
I get the correct site but the text on that news page is very difficult to read.
Community Veteran

thanks, I'll try resetting my router then,

I was actually talking about your PC and the browser's cache. Your router is unlikely to retain any DNS lookups so would not cause your problem. But I guess rebooting everything including PC is worth trying anyway.
N/A

I've reset my router, & cleared my cache, but still get the old site, without 'moved to uk2" message on news page. Any one got any ideas why I can't see the updated site?

Will change the font tomorrow!!

thanks

Carosd
Community Veteran

Same as Peter and John above! Also the main page is a little heavy don't you think! 4+Mb :shock:
N/A

aHAH! router reset solved it! Ta muchly. Told husband, who has chosen Tempus as a replacement. Size wise, the photos of foil balloons look rubbish when compressed, but the whole site is shortly going to a web designer friend for tweaking, so hopefully he'll know some tricks with that one.

Thanks everyone

carosd
N/A

You might also like to point out to hubby that having a front page which is over 4 MB is hardly likely to endear him to anyone on dial-up. I'm on 1 MB here, not 2 MB, and even on that, if I were a potential customer rather than someone wanting to see what I got for the purposes of this thread (like others, I get the new page), I would not have hung around waiting for that lot to load, I'd have gone elsewhere - frankly, it's one of the worst front pages I've encountered for an awful long time.

(Edit - sorry, I type slowly, point already made and your response noted - hope the result is an improvement!)
Community Veteran

Glad you found the problem.

Re the graphics, they can easily be reduced in size to less than a 10th of what they are now without loss of quality. It is certainly something to highlight when the page is revamped.
N/A

no, that is my fault not his!
N/A

Peter - is there an easy way to do that? It's my major problem at the moment, & I don't want to lose custom as Gordon suggested.
Community Veteran

I'll send you a PM (click on the you have x messages in a few minutes).