cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

web space and folder names in urls

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I use a publically viewable folder in my web space for posting in game avi captures on occasions. Now the question, why are the folder names case sensitive from my PN web space?

eg if the folder is named Avi and I use adp450.plus.com/avi/ shouldn't it work as well as adp450.plus.com/Avi/ ?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
4 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

On Unix filenames are case-sensitive so Avi is not the same as avi. The plus.net servers are all unix so www.username.plus.com/Avi/ is not the same as www.username.plus.com/avi/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

hmm ok guess i better make a new lower case folder then, force of habit I capitalise the first letter usually, so people get a 404 if they dont have it exact if I direct link the avi
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

mod_spelling helps with this, however, I am unsure of we have the ability to enable it ourselfs.

Having a .htaccess file with the following in will enable it

CheckSpelling on

If you get a server error, you can't enable it.

Note: This directive can be a security problem, as it doesn't just do case matches. It operates in a fassion that could display files that you don't wish to be seen.
csogilvie
Grafter

CheckSpelling causes an ISE. However, you can try mod-rewriting it although doing that is left upto someone with a greater understanding than me Wink[/code]