cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

viruses getting through plusnet anti-virus package?

newinvention
Grafter

Anyone else getting viruses through on email despite paying for plusnet's anti-virus package? I've had 3 in the last week or so. I keep Norton AV updated weekly or twice-weekly so it's catching and dealing with them as they come through, but it's really disconcerting that this is suddenly happening after several months of virus-free incoming emails. I'm not sure plusnet are doing what they can to scan incoming stuff - is it worth £3/month if these things are getting through? I only subscribed to their package to get an extra level of protection because I spend my days sending and receiving ....
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Same reported here, raise a contact us so they can investigate - looks like the scanner is not picking them up or you are getting a mutated version their software does not know about.
N/A

I have had 100 MyDooms tonight which I am handling by Mailwasher and Norton cos Plusnet antivirus isnt picking them up. Off to bed now. I wonder how many I will have to delete tomorrow morning. Normally Plusnet AV and Mailwasher work like a dream but Plusnet sure have screwed it up this time.
N/A

I believe there is new mutation of mydoom, with a different byte count and hence signature.
Different anti-virus programmes detect virii by different means. Norton, McAfee and others detect in a very broad way and can indicate a virus when one is not present. Therefore they are likely to detect the latest mutation.
I believe that the detection ISP's and corporate systems use are less "broad" and use definitive signature files. This is to try and avoid the possibility of a non-virus message being quarantines or deleted at the virus detection stage.
It is just as bad not to get the email confirming a large money payment to you as it is to get a virus...... there is a balance.
I assume the signature files at +Net are not yet updated to include the new mutation.
Saying that, I had an email from a colleague in Luxembourg at 11am today on this latest mutation.
N/A

Having just checked over 32MB's of the damned stuff, I first saw the mutation at 9.30 this morning.

However, there is/was very large confusion over what the virus actualy does, so some confusion on what detection is needed.
N/A

I was fairly relaxed yesterday when the news about the Mydoom worm broke, I had absolute faith in plusnet antivirus email feature, however.....

Had 10 emails today, all gone to postmaster which have been infected with the latest Mydoom worm. Luckly the anti virus software on our own system was bang upto date and isolated the file immediatley.

Had a bit of a panic because I thought If I am getting them, then anyone on our network might get them, so had a mad run round to make sure that all our anti virus signature files were upto date.

Latest news just as I was writing this I was interupted by a colleague who has just rec'd an email even though it was dated 27/01/04 and sent at 17:20 with the Mydoom virus......It appears that plusnet antivirus software is still occasionally missing the odd file.
N/A

PN AV seems to have started working on MyDoom.
N/A

Viruses, viruses, everywhere!!

Despite being told from PlusNet that they have (today) implemented a new infected-email-checking thingy, I'm still receiving emails with attachments that are infected.

The email "bombs" are being sent to <random name>@mydomain.com

Anyone know of a way of setting your email account so that all mail sent to <anything>@mydomain.com (eccept for those with specific mailboxes or forwards) get rejected or sent to "somewhere@themoon.com"?

Rob
N/A

The best anti-virus package, when it comes to "infected" mail attachments, is your finger on the mouse button!!
N/A

PN AV seems to have started working on MyDoom.

I think not,or else why would they have to implement the latest idea to refuse any suspicious e-mails.But it is good I am now getting free anti-virus protection that others pay 3 pounds a month for,but have thedid-advange that I may not be getting legitimate e-mails along with those that pay the 3 pound a month.

I personally think it's not the best idea that Plusnet have come up with.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

geewhizz: I believe if you setup a redirect for postmaster@yourdomain.com which forwards to blackhole@abuse.plus.com then any emails sent to non-existant mailboxes will be forwarded to the auto-delete account. Perhaps someone could confirm this?
N/A

I was wrong. MyDoom is getting thru PN AV.
csogilvie
Grafter

eurotrain4: That would then break the Terms and Conditions (or is it the AUP) as you are required to monitor the postmaster account...
N/A

INFO:

While MyDoom.B is similar to the earlier version--aside from its adding
Microsoft to its denial-of-service list--it also attempts to block users
from being able to access 65 Web sites run by antivirus and security
companies, security firm iDefense Inc. says in an advisory.

In fact, it appears that the worm adds lines into your HOSTS file,
usually located in the C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc folder on NT
systems.

The lines would be of the type "127.0.0.1 <website>" in order to prevent
access to these web-sites.

So, if you are wondering why you can't get access to some sites, have a
look at that file.

You may additionally prevent manipulation of that file by making it
read-only (right click, Properties, check read-only), although this may
have other inconveniences at some time.
Novagal
Grafter

I have to admit that I had failed in my duties in managing my Postmaster mailbox and found some dozen messages covering about 3 months. Looking at them from the web they all appeared ok accept for two which I noticed had attachments to themHuh

Anyway like some of you I use mailwasher (and virus checker etc) for screening messages before downloading, and checked it's contents and low and behold the characters were in unicode....... mydoom attacks!

Naturally deleted before any harm. Point is, I was a liitle surprised that those two emails had been contaminated assumingly whilst sitting in my PlusNet mailbox!!

Firstly my apologies for my neglect of duty (wont happen again) and secondly would it be normal for PlusNet to send an auto response email with an attachment?

Good luck to all in fighting these nasties.

K