cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virus in email from reconised user, but he did not send it

N/A

i received an email from a friend (subject box: microsoft update SP2) I opened it but it was a blank screen, thought nothing of it & deleted it.
I was unaware it was a virus (speaking to him , his machine was switched off at the time & said he did not send it) the virus went into my address book & emailed everyone in it with the same virus, then i am getting people ringing me asking why have i sent this email, i explained i had not, it was a virus.
I ran AVG, it picked up a virus trojan horse esgoij.........I deleted it & thought that was it, but today it was back with 14 other viruses.....................Also I can no longer start Outlook.................& the virus comes back minutes after i have deleted it...................

Can somebody suggest a remedy please.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Replying on Infection Ivan

Hello,

Yes! I think a part of the problem your experiencing is that anti virus programs usually do a very poor job at finding & correctly identifying real trojen horse infections. The job of an "anti virus" program is just that discover the presence of a virus but the problem is that trojens are NOT viruses, they dont behave like viruses and they dont replicate like viruses. Trojens hide inside other programs such as games or so called freeware software i.e. free tools or utilitys. For tojens you need a completely different tool to discover them correctly this is due to the stealthy nature of such infections.

I recommend the highly rated & excellent program Trojen Hunter, its not free BUT you can download a free 30 day trial wich you can use inorder to discover the source of the problem. http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

http://www.anti-trojan-software-reviews.com/index.htm

**Also it would be worth your while to use a different Anti Virus program inorder to make sure what was discovered by AVG is correct or if its not correct. What you have could just be an aggressive worm infection.

**Also worth downloading a freeware version of AdAware which can check for other forms of malware & diallers etc. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

**Once you have identified the infection type then the next step is to find the best way (method) for safe removal.

**Only use a hard disk reformatting & windows re-installation as an ABSOLUTE last restort, it should be possible to safely remove the problem though.

Regards Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

If you are running Win XP remember to turn off system restore before attempting any virus removal.

Whilst the AV software appears to clean it, the virus will still reside in your system until you turn off system restore.
N/A

Yeah, and then one day when a driver goes belly up, and you think - 'Hmm, rather than search for it, I'll use system restore' - you get the lovely virus back!
*Not what you want I suspect* Wink
N/A

Smiley
addendum.....Once the virus is removed remember to turn systemrestore back on. At that point it will take a system snap shot and You will once again have a clean restore point.
N/A

thanks for your info, will try what you have suggested...............Cheers Peter