cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usernet.plus.net

N/A

usernet.plus.net

Seems to be having an issue not updating new messages and unable to view old ones, I get:
'Message is no longer available on the server
Outlook Express is unable to retrieve the requested message because the server no longer has the message available'
Chris
13 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

usernet.plus.net

Thats due to the two servers being out of synch... its been raised as a problem to Ben for tomorrow morning.
N/A

usernet.plus.net

Have you tried removing the server and completely readding it? It could be that you have headers from the old server cached, so you'll need to flush these.

Although I might be completely off - I don't have much experience with usenet Smiley
Community Veteran

usernet.plus.net

I had to unsubscribe the subscribe to the newsgroups I read again before I got it working, This is what the announcement says you must do.
N/A

usernet.plus.net

Or if you use OE (don't flame me - it's only for light use!) and you don't fancy unsubscribing and re-subscribing from your various groups you could try what I did, which was to rename or delete the <newsgroup>.dbx files in the OE mailstore folder.

It still knew which newsgroups I was subscribed to and downloaded all headers again which got me back in sync.

Try at your own risk, but it saved me some time...
N/A

usernet.plus.net

This stinks. I have over forty newsgroups. I am not pleased.
N/A

usernet.plus.net

Well it still ain't working, my other newsgroups are fine so what's the issueHuh
Chris
csogilvie
Grafter

usernet.plus.net

Have a look at link:Service Status
N/A

usernet.plus.net

I had a look at the service status before I posted. It didn't really tell me much as the issue was was only acknowleged a day later by plusnet then I first posted. I'm sorry but this service provider seems to be rather long in effecting a repair at the moment especially when you take into account the three day internet fiasco that we also had to endure.....
Chris
csogilvie
Grafter

usernet.plus.net

I have records of the problem being mentioned initially on 28th May at 11.41 - your last post was at 8PM, by which time there had been 3 posts made with updates.

Currently, usenet.plus.net is running with the old hardware, while Ben tries to fix what is wrong with the new stuff.

"3 Day internet fiasco"? This is obviously before my time...
N/A

usernet.plus.net

I'm sorry but I find your replies rather odd and unhelpful csogilvie, my first post was well before plusnet seemed to even know that there was a problem, the consequent internet problem, well perhaps you should also read the service status as well, I quote "2004-05-27 07:46:20 DNS Problems
This has now been resolved by our network engineers and we would like to apologise for the inconvenience.

If any customers are still experiencing problems then this should be reported to the support team as normal.

Regards,
Stewart Norriss
Customer Support"

This caused no end of issues which resulted in severe web browsing problem, ie 'server not available page' and lasted three days.
Perhaps instead, as the newsgroup is still very sluggish, plusnet should employ not just 'Ben' but more engineers to resolve the problem that was, in the end, one of their own making.
Are you actually a reprensentitive of plusenet, or just a 'helpful' contributor?
Chris
csogilvie
Grafter

usernet.plus.net

I am not an employee and I appologise if you thought the comments were unhelpful. However, I took your post as being the last post you made which was after teh update.

The problems with Usenet are currently documented in link:Service Status. The old platform has been brought back into service on usenet.plus.net at the moment while Ben works on the new servers which are running, again, on beta.usenet.plus.net. I would imagine throwing more engineers at the problem won't help matters anyway, as it just means more can go wrong (too many cooks spoil the broth and all that).

Incidently, the problems with DNS certainly dind't last 3 days here... at most it was about 25 hrs - the first report I saw was at 7.30pmish on the 26th (which was when I reported it as well) and was resolved at 07.46 on the 27th.
N/A

usernet.plus.net

Hi, yes but I had the problem the evening before, it seemed to take plusnet 12 hours later to post up that there was a issue. Also the usernet is still very, very sluggish so it still isn't fixed properly
Chris
Community Veteran

usernet.plus.net

The wards server (one of 2 readers running on the existing usenet system) has a hardware error and been taken out of service so usenet is even more sluggish than normal.

The Beta server is planned to go live again next week so no work is going to be done on the old usenet hardware until that is completed. Wards is also based in London not sheffield so it would involve a trip down there to fix it and it's not top priority at the moment.