cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

syslogd required

N/A

syslogd required

I am having some issues configuring rules on my router.

It doesn't provide statful packet inspection, but does provide some filters based on protocol, port and address.

The good news is it allows me to log most hits. The bad news is the log viewer is, to put it mildly, a complete waste of time.

On top of the normaly log functions, it will forward log messages to a syslog of choice. The problem is, with my linux machine worse than a yoyo at this moment, I need a way to capture and display syslog messages on windows.

Does anybpdy know of a windows based UNIX syslog?
6 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

syslogd required

Does Cygwin have one in it that could be used?
N/A

syslogd required

Cygwin is a bit overkill for my needs.

When it comes to using GNU tools in this way on win32, you usualy need a lot of them.

To obtain and install all the dependancies just to cater for a single problem is pointless.

I am looking at a few others at the moment though.
N/A

syslogd required

Does anybpdy know of a windows based UNIX syslog?

Kiwi Syslog Daemon - http://www.kiwisyslog.com/.

Tim
N/A

syslogd required

Beleive it or not, that is the one I ended up with last night just after posting.

For a while, I didn't think it was working, however, it took a reboot of the modem to confirm it (spoiling the uptime of -768 hours - The clock had reset and started counting backwards).

My modem has very few events to spit out.

Too be honest, it even looks like the filtering is failing.

EDIT:

It is no working, literaly mins after replying.

I am trying to capture what if anything is being sent out/inbound on port 135. I am trying to detect what if anything is casuing blocking of IMCP by the redback units, if anything.

I have a Zyxel 643 router, which is confusing at best. You are allowed multiple rules sets and can apply them seperatly to in or outbound connections.

As a template, i used the built in setup tool for the filters. These are designed to filter traffic attempting connections on the control ports of the router (80, 23 and so on).

After changing them, it was supposed to work OK.

Only today I found that ruleset 12 (the set I use) is only being applied to inbound. Changing it to outbound too, and bingo, the syslog messages start flowing.
N/A

syslogd required

I am trying to capture what if anything is being sent out/inbound on port 135. I am trying to detect what if anything is casuing blocking of IMCP by the redback units, if anything.

ICMP was blocked on my connection too, but I am sure nothing is using port 135. After disconnecting and reconnecting, everything was OK again.

Tim
N/A

syslogd required

That is the way in which the redback blocking works.

I have setup the filters and reporting in a bid to locate which machine if any is attmpting the connections.