cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

swopping from pop to imap

N/A

If i change a mailbox which is currently using pop.plus.net to imap.plus.net will PN automatically copy all the mail over?...... Just a thought as it might save me backing up the outlook folder before wiping a machine.... Cheesy
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

No because the emails collected via pop3 have already been downloaded to your email clioent and deleted from your PN stored mailbox.

The only way you would get this to work is if you had set something like 'leave a copy of the email on the server'. You would then see all you old emails via IMAP but you would have needed to set thay before any emails were downloaded via pop3.
N/A

Pete,

as i thought..... thought it was worth a check as some hosts use the same server address and you alter the check for pop or imap.
I will back up the odd POP account and then change to imap on the fresh install.....
morgan2476
Grafter

How is it that if I open use both pop and imap some messages go to both while some messages are with one or the other?

Donald
Community Veteran

With POP3, emails are generally downloaded and stored on your local PC. With IMAP, the emails remian stored on the PN servers and you just view them from your email client.

You have 2 unread emails in your PN mailbox.

You access your mailbox with imap and you see 2 messages.
You then access your mailbox with pop3, you download 2 messages

In the above both access methods see the 2 messages BUT

You access your mailbox again with imap, you see no messages

Because when you accessed it with pop3, the messages where physically removed from your PN mailbox after being downloaded.

You have 3 messages in your PN mailbox waiting to be read.

You access it with pop3 and they are downloaded and deleted from the PN mailbox
You access it with imap, you see nothing.

Anything like what you are seeing?

Basically, you should choose either pop3 or imap not both to access your PN mailbox as pop3 will allows delete mail from the PN mailbox when downloded which means it won't be seen with imap.

There is one way around this: To access using both methods, you must enable 'keep a copy of the email on the server' (or whatever your email client uses) for your POP3 setup. This way, when accessing the PN mailbox with pop3, the emails are not deleted after being downloaded.
morgan2476
Grafter

my plan is not to use outlook or anything like it, but rather to keep my messages on the webmail. I would now prefer to use imap as i can create extra folders, how to i transfer the messages from pop3 to imap?
N/A

morgan,

i don't think you can.... at least if you keep a client you can keep the existing folders and then swop over the mail server settings and back up the client when you back up your machine.
K9ine

Moving messages to IMAP

my plan is not to use outlook or anything like it, but rather to keep my messages on the webmail. I would now prefer to use imap as i can create extra folders, how to i transfer the messages from pop3 to imap?

I believe you can do this utilising outlook etc.

Set up a new account using imap.plus.net in outlook...

Create new folders within the imap account similar to your existing folders

Go to each existing old folder and select all messages (Ctrl A)

RIGHT-click and choose Copy to Folder
( If you drag it seems to move and not copy messages which I would not trust)

Select the similar folder within the IMAP account

keep going and then synchronise and make sure messages have copied.

Hope this works.

K9ine.
-

I have had problems with the various IMAP/webmail systems offered by plusnet. Firstly I had large swathes of spam started arriving late last year and I started avoiding using plusnet email. I logged in just now and I have NO emails and all my old folders have dissapeared with many messages that were in them!