cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

svchost.exe what is it ?

N/A

svchost.exe what is it ?

Hi svchost.exe is it an integral part of the windows/net acces?
Keeps asking for net access, cant see which prog is using it.
generichost also..
am I being dumb?
Thanks..

Also is there anyway of contacting folks through their ip address that the firewall throws up as I keep getting scanned by a couple of folks, either they are doing it deliberately or more than likely they have some kind of virus..either way I want to contact them.
4 REPLIES
N/A

svchost.exe what is it ?

(svchost.exe) It's perfectly safe, kevinmorgan. Yes, it's part of Windows. It's short for Service Host. As far as I know, generichost should also be OK.
N/A

svchost.exe what is it ?

svchost is used by Microsoft to run some NT services that are implemented as DLL's. Do a search on google for svchost and then select one of the entries from the support.microsoft.com site (depending on your operating system version).
I believe that it hasalso been used as an executable name for a virus in the past so you may want to ensure that you have the latest version of a virus checker installed on your machine.

As for responding to polling of your machine I would strongly recomend against it. All you will do is give them a valid email address that they can them either spam or send you virus/phishing attacks. If you really want to go ahead then you could look the ip address up using the dnstools.com website. This might give you a domain name. You could then try emailing postmaster or abuse at the domain name.
But remember, if these are the bad guys then you are confirming that your IP address is valid and giving them a valid email address. At the moment your firewall should be quietly discarding the probes and they should be unaware that you are online (and that the ip address is valid)
N/A

svchost.exe what is it ?

The virus you refer to, langfordhq, creates a file called "scvhost.exe" (notice the spelling!), I should know, it infected my PC sometime ago! I think I got it from a peer-2-peer file-sharing application.
N/A

svchost.exe what is it ?

Hi THANKS for the posts helped a lot to put my mind at ease..
I will just ignore the polling as you say no need to give them any help..
Thanks Kev..