cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

static and auto ip addresses

N/A

Please advise pros and cons of static v. auto. My new Belkin Router/ADSL Modem comes with install guide which says use auto allocation for both IP and DNS. Howeverf, their help-line suggested that the continual problems with line dropping and long time to connect could be cured by using static addresses.
BTW it hasn't as the line has just dropped again. Hope it comes up mand again before i send this!
7 REPLIES
N/A

for your LAN? well it depends on the life of the ip that you give clients, if it is too short then the connection will drop as it gets a new ip, if its too long, just give it a static ip. personaly i just use static ips as it makes life so much easier
crimsone
Grafter

If your talking about using DHCP on the LAN side of the router, Static IP's for each machine give you the advantage of knowing the address of each computer from memory (depending on the number of machines), and knowing that that IP address is always true, making it good for scripting processes on your network or whatever.

Whatever you do, ensure that you pick either static or dynamic for the WHOLE of the network (except for under particular circumstances which rarely arise at home), purely because if you use a mixture of DHCP and static addressing, the IP address conflicts can become annoying and troublesome.

Note also that running a wireless network on DHCP ip adressing poses a greater security risk (though the security risk shouldn't really be all that high anyway, provided you are using wireless security (WEP or WPA)
N/A

Note also that running a wireless network on DHCP ip adressing poses a greater security risk (though the security risk shouldn't really be all that high anyway, provided you are using wireless security (WEP or WPA)

Hi,

Why is DHCP for wireless a security risk compared to static?
crimsone
Grafter

It's not so much a security risk in itself as it is a greater security risk than static.

If running static, you can allow only the IP addresses you have assigned to each computer and bind them to the mac address of each card. If it's a fully open dhcp system, then it assigns an ip from the allowed range to whatever computer that manages to connect.
N/A

crimsone,

Most wireless routers now allow you setup a list of approved mac addresses which are allowed to connect to the router, all other's are rejected.

All,

I kinda of think this topic was actually raised in reference to static or dynamic external IP's on the account of OP mentioning line dropping etc. In the case of static v dynamic, it depends on what account you have with PN, since premier only have static IP's. I think from memory it's only BB+ that uses dynamic. Obviously this is only applicable to BB.
N/A

Static IP means you allways have the same ip. There is no chance of timing out trying to get a dynamic IP. Large firms wont allow dynamic ip as it is given out to any pc that asks so anyone can connect to the network and get an ip.

Dynamic ip are just another thing to go wrong
N/A

Some useful imfo there guy's thanks Cheesy