cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sharing an internet connection

N/A

i would like to network my 2 computers so that they can share an internet connection and file sharing,
the distance between these 2 computers is under 10 metres
1 computer is already connected to the internet via adsl usb modem
computer 2 has no internet connection and no network card
so what is the best way to connect these 2 computers up and what equipment would i require altogether?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You need 2 network cards, 10M of Ethernet cable and a small 1M crossover cable and an Ethernat cable joint - or just but a 10M crossover cable.

Install 1 network card in either PC and link them with the Ethernet cables. The crossover cable is needed to allow the 2 network cards to work properly. A staight ttrough cable will not work.

You can then setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the PC that has the USB modem connected. Just use the Windows help to see how to set this up. With this method the PC with the USB modem must always be on for the 2nd PC to have internet access.

The more expensive option is to replace the USB modem with a 4 port ADSL modem/router and connect both PCs via network cards and Ethernet cable to it. This method allows both PCs to access the internet when the other is not on.
Community Veteran

The more expensive option is to replace the USB modem with a 4 port ADSL modem/router and connect both PCs via network cards and Ethernet cable to it. This method allows both PCs to access the internet when the other is not on.

I might also add that this is a much better way of doing it, not only because each machine is independant of the other, but also all the work is done by the router which leaves your PC's processor to get on with dealing with its own machine rather than having to give some processing power to your USB Modem.
lowry
Grafter

Another option is to down the wireless route. Wireless ADSL routers may be slightly more expensive but they offer a greater deal of flexibility because they have the same functions that a standard 4-port ADSL router would have but witht he wireless option aswell. Some possible set-up options:

• Desktop Computer 1 (with Ethernet Network card) --> Ethernet Cable --> Wireless ADSL router --> Ethernet Cable --> Desktop Computer 2 (with Ethernet Network card).
  • Desktop Computer 1 (with wireless network card) --> Wireless ADSL router --> Desktop Computer2 (with wireless network card).
  • Desktop Computer 1 (with ethernet network card) --> Ethernet Cable --> Wireless ADSL router --> Desktop Computer 2 (with wireless network card).

As you can see there is a good deal of flexibility in the set-up. One thing that you need to watch out for though is the problem of signal loss through large thick walls (for example, in a large, old house). This is taken from a review at ADSLGuide.org.uk:
Wireless router percentage of detectable signal

Router
1st Wall
2nd Wall
4th Wall

Belkin F5D7630UK4A
80%
13%
0%

BT 1250 (2Wire)
100%
54%
26%

Linksys WAG-54G
93%
53%
6%

Linksys WRT54G
93%
26%
0%

Netgear DG834G
100%
60%
26%

U.S Robotics 9106
75%
20%
0%

• Wall 1 comprises double brick construction with bathroom tiles
  • Wall 2 comprises of double brick construction with kitchen tiles
  • Wall 4 is the next measurable point, due to an old coal bunker between walls 3 and 4.

Unfortunately, after what is otherwise flawless performance, the Belkin router is let done by under par 802.11g wireless performance. It is likely that it is faster with Belkins own brand of wireless cards. Though 13.67Mbps across a wireless connection is plenty enough to run decent quality streaming audio and video material from a central server in a house. The range of the unit appears to be somewhat lower than some of its competitors, making it really only good for use through one or maybe two solid walls.

These hardware reviews maybe useful too:

Hope that helps
matt Wink
N/A

router method

ok thanks guys for all your suggestions
i think i will go 4 the adsl modem router connection
so were is the best place to buy the equipment and any suggestions for a good router?
can you explain a bit more bout the cable bit, i dnt quite understand do i need cat5 cableHuh?
N/A

It all depends on what router you want to buy, Amason sell the netgear DG834 for around £60.

The Netgear DG834 is a good router and is easy to setup. It's controlled though a web browser and has a full firewall as well.

For each of your connections, you'll need a CAT5 Cross-over network cable. In the case of the DG834, it actually comes with one cable provided and it's also auto sensing, to it's not so important as to whether you get a cross-over or straight though cable.
Community Veteran

For each of your connections, you'll need a CAT5 Cross-over network cable

Not correct!!
Cross over cables are ony needed for PC to PC. The ports from a router to each PC should be STRAIGHT cables.

However some modern equipment can auto sense so you can get away with the incorrect type.
N/A

Opps Shockedops:

Sorry, yes your correct john. . Surprised I said that actually must be more tired than I thought, and I helped a friend wire a network up yesterday using the correct cables, how embrassing lol

Aaron
N/A

do i need to get an adslmodem/ router, can i not just use my current modem? and buy another router
Community Veteran

The answer is yes (assuming you mean a router without ADSL modem) but it will make the setup very complicated, will involve using ICS (not always reliable) and may also cause issues with any firewall software running (many of the free ones won't work correctly if you use ICS). Also if you buy a router which also has an ADSL modem (and the price differemce is very little now a days) you can use either PC without the oter one being switched on.

It's all down to how complex you want your setup. You could pay less and get a router (without ADSL modem) but this will complicate your setup and impose restrictions. Paying a bit more to replace the USB modem wth an all in one modem/router will make the setup much easier.

It's you choice in the end but I would always recommend an all in one device in place of a USB modem.
N/A

yh thanks a lot i think i will buy a adslmodem/router, i have seen the netgear dg834? i have heard that is one of the best routers around? i am after a wired router and i think the netgear is the best, any other good cheap routers?