cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

risk of hacking/ virii?

N/A

risk of hacking/ virii?

I connect through a 4 port router and each machine off it runs Zonealarm firewall and antivirus.
Everything was OK, but I'm a bit concerned as the result of a recent change.
I've set the DMZ on my router to point the incoming IP address (my static WAN) to a machine on my internal network.
Since then I've been getting alot of alerts in zonealarm, but I guess I expect this because prior to this the DMZ was pointed at a non existant machine.
My reason for this was to access the computer using PCanywhere from work.
I know at times when I don't use the internet for a day or 2 I see usage of maybe a Mb, more or less. This is OK, I guess its my router (always on ) handshaking etc.
What I see now is this figure rising to maybe 10Mb+
Is this PCanywhere doing this, or should I be more concerned?
5 REPLIES
N/A

risk of hacking/ virii?

If you need access to this PC via PC anyway, surely it would be safer to port forward the ports needed rather than put this PC into the DMZ.

Any PC's connected to the DMZ will suffer the everything the net as to offer, it's probably just you've not been really so aware of it as your router has been dealing with it.
N/A

risk of hacking/ virii?

I don't think my router (an Origo 8400) allows port forwarding, so i see no other option.
obviosly the alerts would indicate that zonealarm is working, but to allow a pcanywhere session I've had to allow it to open port 5631.
am i right in assuming that zonealarm won't allow any other program access through this port?
The thing that concerns me is the amount by which the internet connection 'idle' useage has increased.
N/A

risk of hacking/ virii?

You can port forward, see this link http://www.portforward.com/origo/asr-8400.htm

and yes zone alarm will prevent traffic going to this port when pc anywhere is closed, and will prevent it going to any other application as well.
N/A

risk of hacking/ virii?

looks good, I'll try this maybe tomorrow.
Take the computer out of the DMZ and see how it goes.
Thanks for the pointers.
N/A

risk of hacking/ virii?

No worries, let me know how you get on by posting back here.

Cheers,

Aaron