cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

referrals in email sig?

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

referrals in email sig?

Is there a way of having the referral ads/banner in an email signature (using Outlook Express) or if not the wee banner then maybe just a link (I saw one in the tutorial but don't know how to make it have my code (or whatever it needs to make it 'mine')
All cutting & pasting etc has achieved is a list of referrals which haven't been made - somehow it was me trying to copy them Shockedops:
17 REPLIES
N/A

referrals in email sig?

mmm

Tools>Options>Signatures in OE to place a text file, text, or another file

But to be honest I'm not really sure what you want to achieve
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

referrals in email sig?

I don't have a web page/site so thought I might 'spread the word' via my emails but don't know what to copy into the signature block, i.e. I don't know what my referral number or code might be.

A link would be fine, but the little banner icon would be better, but I don't know if you can do that with email?
N/A

referrals in email sig?

When you go onto the screen with all the banners on, and pick up, the code return is unique to you.

However HTML code inserted within e-mail is becoming unpopular due to the risk of viruses contained within images and attachments.

Many e-mail clients either won't display images or in some cases run html code.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

referrals in email sig?

Would that apply to a simple link as well (sorry not really up on code, html etc)
N/A

referrals in email sig?

All HTML Code, since you can't tell what the code is until it runs.
N/A

referrals in email sig?

Most will allow <a href="url">blah</url> or if you send it as plain text will automatically turn anything beginning http:// into a clickable link.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

referrals in email sig?

OK, I can tell I'm on to a loser here.... how about a web address? I'm sure I've seen that elsewhere.... is there a way of entering a web address that would take people to my referral page (or does that amount to the same thing?)
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

referrals in email sig?

Most will allow <a href="url">blah</url> or if you send it as plain text will automatically turn anything beginning http:// into a clickable link.

Sorry, you must have been sending as I was typing... but yes, that's what I was after. When I type something beginning www it underlines it and it becomes a link.... so how do I get the address to my own referral page?
N/A

referrals in email sig?

Click 'My Referrals' on the left.
Then click Step 2.
Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see a block of text titled "My Referrals banners". Click where it says "Click here" in that block of text.
Click any banner whatsoever and you'll get the code for it where you'll see a URL, copy and use that.
N/A

referrals in email sig?

I never said it wouldn't work, just that many e-mail clients block HTML Code from running and also block images.

Images can contain viruses and html code can execute viruses.

For example, I use outlook and whenever I get an e-mail with HTML or images, it won't load them by default. I have to make a manual judgement as to whether I want to view them for not.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

referrals in email sig?

OK, thanks wadev1589 & gadgetboy, I'm almost there :!:

Last question, is a link (or is that a url?) counted as html code as well or would that print out in your email gadgetboy?
N/A

referrals in email sig?

As I stated previously, most email clients convert anything that starts http:// into a clickable URL as a URL itself cannot execute a virus, it would have to point to a webpage containing a virus and so would be completly manual.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

referrals in email sig?

This is what the link looks like -

http://portal.plus.net/my.html?JZu1oo1alTX5ApemfK2KH1JhF30nu682VHNQuRKGXyIcP%2Buo1mp9qmyEdKTLvhlZ7xl...

which seems very long - just call me thicko... but do I just need the first line? Is the rest of it to make up the actual banner, because it won't click like a link if I include it all!

Told you I didn't have a clue at this Shockedops:

EDIT: And yet now I've posted it here it does seem to work like a link, but it didn't in my email?Huh
lowry
Grafter

referrals in email sig?

You could include the link in your signature for any guests browsing these forums, or on a website you have or just earn referrals by telling people by word of mouth.

The problem, as previously mentioned in this thread, is that since the introduction of SP2 and the problem with malicious HTML e-mails (and ones which invade your privacy by tracking whether you have read them using an image) many people will have HTML turned off in their e-mail clients and your signature will either not work or look quite odd if they see your e-mail in plain text.

matt Wink