cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"real" IP address

N/A

"real" IP address

On a site I was looking at it said that it could detect my "real" IP which should be hidden. And that only my normal IP should show. I am a bit confused by this but it seems I should be hiding my "real" IP and was wondering how to go about this.
12 REPLIES
N/A

"real" IP address

What's the URL of this site?
N/A

"real" IP address

N/A

"real" IP address

Can't see any reference to a "real" IP address.
N/A

"real" IP address

Yes this site, can pick you your local IP address from within your browser. There are lots of different ways web sites can do this, i.e. java etc.

Read this Anti-Proxy - Hide your IP

It's a bit extreme, but it would hide your local IP, but would also really spoil your web surfing.
Community Veteran

"real" IP address

Im abit confused about this topic, when I visit it (from work) all it shows is the public IP of one of our routers, which is normal.

Chris
N/A

"real" IP address

Maybe, like other sites, it can make a "best guess" of your LAN IP address. But I don't see this in the link above.
Community Veteran

"real" IP address

I just see by 'public' plusnet assigned static IP which is assigned to my router. This is not what my PCs 'real' IP is because it is using NAT and I use local unroutable IP addresses internally.

So i'm confused about this topic like the others as to what the OP is worried about.

If they were using say a USB modem then yes, their PC's IP address will be shown but that's only because the modem itself uses the PlusNet assigned IP for the PCs NIC, and was designed to do just that.
N/A

"real" IP address

"Real IP [should be hidden!] The IP address you're trying to hide is XXX.XXX.X.XX"

Sorry I just found out it only shows up if you click on "Spyware Remover" on this page:

http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/prefcan.asp
Dizzley
Grafter

"real" IP address

It's here:

http://www.auditmypc.com/patch-management-software/patch-management-software.html

Err, the Google Ad on that page just triggered my Norton firewall wirh an HTTP_ActivePerl_overflow intrusion alert. Could be complete spheroids though.

/Pete
N/A

Re: "real" IP address

On a site I was looking at it said that it could detect my "real" IP which should be hidden.

Glad someone has raised this subject, as it is something that has had me intrigued for a long while.My gut feeling (and I could be wrong) is that it is a "trick"; for want of a better expression; usually in my experience found on sites that wish to sell you something, and cannot help wondering how much threat if any there actually is.

I did go to the site mentioned in the replies in this discussion, and yes it did tell me my IP, that I was using a Mac computer and that Safari was my web browser:all of which is perfectly correct.......... but I have also had replies to some of my posting here in the forums, that have included a little box telling me excactly the same information, and given that the person responsable for the reply would be easily be traceable I do not percieve it as a threat but more as a way to make a reply more interesting.(still like to know how it's done though)

Which makes me lean more towards the "trick" option as a scare tactic more so than "threat"

Any thoughs appreciated

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

"real" IP address

I thought it might have been a trick, so I changed my local IP address and it correctly picked it up. It's leaked by the browser, when you migrate cookies across domains or something like this. I can't remeber the exact details of why it happens.

I think there is a setting that can be changed in IE to prevent this from happening. I'll look it up when I get home tonight.

Aaron
N/A

"real" IP address

Turn Java off in browser. That'll do it