cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Universal" Instant Messaging Clients

Community Veteran

I'm trying to find a good (and preferably free) "universal" instant messaging client.
Minimum requirements are to run on Win98SE and work with MSN, AOL and Yahoo Messenger services.
Anyone got any experience/suggestions that might help?
thanks in advance
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

GAIM? I've used it on win 98 in the past an I belive it does all 3 protocols i know for sure it does MSN and AOL
Community Veteran

Ah! Sourceforge! I should always go there first before asking questions like this ... think I'll make my homepage.

thanks Daniel Cheesy
N/A

there also some really nice Gaim plugins, however you cant do audio/video over msn/aol with it yet Sad
Community Veteran

just installed it and it's pretty nifty, although shows the pawmarks of those who are not yet entirely familiar with porting *nix to windoze.
But it'll do nicely, and doesn't have the hideous bug of MSIM which generates 0-byte tempfiles by the (literally) thousand ...

wish i could find out how to display photos like in MSIM though ...

thanx again
N/A

tools -> preferences -> tick "show buddie icons"

plugins you will want :

wingaim options
system tray icon

both can be got from the gaim site Smiley
Community Veteran

this is cool, i'm overwhelmed with help ... got the extended options thanks but can't locate the "system tray icon" unless its lurking about under a different name/description.
is there a different word for "thanks" so I don't sound so unimaginative?
paul
N/A

er in my plugins its just called system tray icon

Windows Gaim FAQ

* What happened to the Gaim systray icon? - As of 0.65 systray functionality has moved into the docklet plugin, labeled "System Tray Icon" in Gaim's plugins section (under Preferences). You will need to load this plugin for the systray features to work.

Hope that helps
N/A

Trillian, im on it and love it.
Community Veteran

@buzzons i thought you meant a downloadable plugin so that was the confusion ... thanks anyway.

it really is neat, and I'll continue to use it in pref to MSNIM, but there there are fantastically irritating UI probs because of the 800x600 res I have to use on my 7-year-old laptop ... which isn't going to get replaced any time soon. So will d/l Trillian and have a go with that as well

cheers
N/A

GAIM has a far lighter footprint that tillian :S so you may see mass slowdown etc with it.
Community Veteran

Yeah, and it crashes! But gaim turned out to be unusable beyond my first infatutation, on my machine, so despite a bit of instability and lethargy (altho this is mostly in the speed with which the menus drop down) I'm using Trillian now. Much nicer UI too.
N/A

boo!
Community Veteran

i know. i'm such a slapper when it comes to software. i go for pretty over clever every time ...