cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port forwarding

N/A

port forwarding

I have had ADSL from Plusnet for over a month now. I have clients with ADSL to which they have routers connected, on these routers specific ports are forwarded to a specific machine for remote control applications.

Please can anyone suggest what level of horrendous problems I might expect to experience if I have a router port forwarded to a particular machine on my LAN for remote control purposes?

What can external applications do, given a specific IP address and port number when attacking a particular port which is only able to respond by virtue of a remote control application waiting on that port?

Is this down to the security of the remote control application or are there other ways in?

Kind regards

Richard Scales
4 REPLIES
N/A

port forwarding

Like all remote control all that is required is the username password. Guessing that may not be hard so there is a vunrabilty there.

Seeing a certain port open could tell the attacker what the application is so they know what to use. Some remote application have known security problems were attackers can break in. The only way around this is to block the port to every one except a certain IP if you only connect from a fixed IP.

Do you actualy need remote control?

If someone did get in and had full remote control then they could attack any pc on the network with ease. Depending on the O/S using Terminal server (remote desktop in Xp)may be a better option as you can set security on files etc which does give better control.
N/A

port forwarding

Thank you for that. I have allowed only one IP address for inbound attack (thats me) and I have changed the default port to something random. So far so good. The OS at the other end is Win98 on this particular machine so remote desktop etc is not an option.

The suppliers of the remote control software claim that all passwords are sent encrypted so that might be better than plain text. Thanks again, Richard Scales
N/A

port forwarding

I wouldnt let anything near win98 as there is no security. With NT win2k XP you can tie down what people can do but 98 is wide open.

As I said do you need remote control or would ftp or a webserver do what you need. ftp isnt the greatest but it does restrict people to certain directories.

It would be safer to do a remote control by a modem
N/A

port forwarding

another way is to setup a SSH server on your PC and also VNC server
then configure VNC server to only accept connections from the localhost, then all you do is open up a SSH session, authenticate yourself and then VNC securely.
there are many tutorials around on how to set this up. not sure if you can get a SSH server for win98 though.