cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plustalk or sipgate

N/A

plustalk or sipgate

Well after mucking aound with the voip stuff, I've chosen sipgate.

why?

As far as i know theres no option for a geographical number with plustalk - people who call me, won't when its a 0845, nor do I want to force potentially higher call rates onto people.

Plus have not peered with sipgate for what ever reason. Seems most people I speak with use sipgate, so I would miss out on the free calls to them.

Its a shame as plusnets offering is 'almost there' and the free 240 minutes resurected my interest in VOIP again. The plustalk tariffs are very competitive, shame the above two points rule the product out for me!

Sory if it seems a waste of a post, but surely plus would like to know why people are not choosing there product.

Perhaps the 1000 minutes that sipgate provide for around £5.90 could be bettered by plusnet to say 1500 and give us a geographical number, instead of the unlimited £4.99 package without the local number.

M
13 REPLIES
N/A

plustalk or sipgate

For the time being, you could have a foot in each camp by running both Sipgate and Plustalk. Lets hope Plustalk will improve before they launch their landline telephone service in June 2006.
N/A

Re: plustalk or sipgate

Plus have not peered with sipgate for what ever reason. Seems most people I speak with use sipgate, so I would miss out on the free calls to them.

Can't you just dial your sipgate contacts directly as foo@sipgate.co.uk without going through the plustalk proxy?
gswindale
Grafter

plustalk or sipgate

If you're based in London and your contacts in Edinburgh for example, then having an 0845 number is better for all than a geographic number! Calls to 0845 numbers are charged at local rate, so this is hardly likely to cause anybody to incur higher call costs (unless they are calling you off-peak when they have so many off-peak minutes to use which only apply to 01/02 numbers)
N/A

plustalk or sipgate

Calls to 0845 numbers are charged at local rate, so this is hardly likely to cause anybody to incur higher call costs (unless they are calling you off-peak when they have so many off-peak minutes to use which only apply to 01/02 numbers)

Sorry, this used to be the case, but now the "local rate" of 0845's is more expensive than the "local rate" charged on geographic numbers. (Similarly 0870's are claimed to be "national rate" but cost more than geographic numbers and 0800's are claimed to be "free" but are chargable at normal geographic rates from many networks).

This is something that Ofcom really should stop, but for now you just have to live with the idea that "local rate" and "national rate" numbers really aren't.
gswindale
Grafter

plustalk or sipgate

BT Call to 0845 number = 3p per minute at peak time. 5 minute call therefore costs 15p.

Local call (in my area) on the BT website call pricer facilty for 5 minutes during the day (Peak time) also costs 15p.

Doesn't look any more expensive to me!
N/A

plustalk or sipgate

Doesn't look any more expensive to me!

The BT price list at:
http://www.downloads.bt.com/pricing/UKInternationalprices.pdf
tells me that calls to anywhere in the UK up to 1 hour are free at evenings and weekends except for a 5.5p connection charge (under the basic tariff). The same price list also tells me that calls to 0845 numbers are charged at 1p/minute at evenings and weekends.

So a 1 hour off-peak call to a geographic number is going to cost 5.5p whilest a 1 hour off-peak call to an 0845 is going to cost 60p. By my reckonning that makes calling an 0845 around 11 times more expensive than a geographic number.

Additionally, non-BT networks also have a habit of charging more than for a call to a geographic number:
For example, the peak/evening/weekend per minute rates for NTL look like:
Local geographic: 3.00 / 2.00 / 0.00
0845: 4.45 / 1.75 / 1.45

Also, most cellular networks provide inclusive minutes for geographic numbers but won't let you use those minutes to call 0845's.
N/A

plustalk or sipgate

I also think that, for personal calls, people 'trust' geographic numbers more. I don't think many of my friends and family would phone me on an 0845 no matter what I told them!
N/A

plustalk or sipgate

0845 are local numbers, the reason free packages don;t include them is because the free minites are a promotional factor, and the free packages are designed to ring friends and families, not businesses, who tend to have 0845 numbers

also the person who made the comment that 0845 are more expensive they are not. They are on different networks but they are charged at the same rate as local numbers on that network

you can;t say that an 0845 on homecall is more expensive than an 0121 on BT, because its like saying an 0121 on bt is differently priced to an 0121 on homecall, of cause it is!!!

ALSO 0845 is a BT local call number primarily, which not all external operators have to adopt.
i.e. back 10 years ago, there were 2 freephone numbers 0800 for bt and 0500 for cable and wireless, both comanies however honoured each other of syaing that 0500 called from BT was free and vice versa, however by law they didn;t have to.

0800 numbers are free from most mobiles [phones as long as they are contract, they are not free from pay as you go, this is because on pay as you go, but again thats with different telecommunications providers.

If you are going to compare, you must compare like for like.

and 0845 is generally better for people to call you on, becuase if your friends are miles away they can call you as a local number, if your friends are on mobiels then they can call your landline number, if your friends are local then they will call your landline number or 0845 makes no difference (dependoing on the company they are with)
AndyMan
Grafter

plustalk or sipgate

Interesting article there re 0845 numbers ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0845_number
AndyMan
Grafter

plustalk or sipgate

AndyMan
Grafter

plustalk or sipgate

hmm for some reason post came out 3 times ... Cheesy .. even I dont like the sound of my own voice that much ... Cheesy ...
N/A

plustalk or sipgate

also the person who made the comment that 0845 are more expensive they are not. They are on different networks but they are charged at the same rate as local numbers on that network

The above comment may be generally true if dialling from landlines but not from other Voip. If dialling from from a non-partnered voip so that sip to sip calls can not be made than 0845 numbers are considerably more expensive than geographical numbers.

Also the majority of current users have voip because they travel and therefore can be reached on an alternative number other than their mobile. Especially important when working aboard as the originator of the call is only paying normal landline charges and the receiver of the call is not picking up expensive mobile roaming charges.

Sipgate offer the same as PlusTalk but with a geographic number.
N/A

plustalk or sipgate

you can;t say that an 0845 on homecall is more expensive than an 0121 on BT, because its like saying an 0121 on bt is differently priced to an 0121 on homecall, of cause it is!!!

Please reread my post - I was comparing 0845 numbers against geographic numbers _on the same tariffs_.

For NTL this was:
Local geographic: 3.00 / 2.00 / 0.00
0845: 4.45 / 1.75 / 1.45

(and before you start saying that the same doesn't apply to BT, please read the BT pricelist - 0845 numbers are _not_ charged at identical rates to geographic numbers all the time. I also can't see the point in excluding other operators unless you're never going to get calls from a non BT caller).

ALSO 0845 is a BT local call number primarily

I'm sorry, that's just plain wrong - no one (BT included) is required to charge this at local rates, and as I've already pointed out even BT don't charge this at an identical rate to local geographic calls. It's also worth pointing out that BT terminate relatively few 0845 numbers - most 0845 call forwarding it provided by third party operators.

0800 numbers are free from most mobiles [phones as long as they are contract, they are not free from pay as you go, this is because on pay as you go, but again thats with different telecommunications providers.

Experience tells me different. I'm not aware of anyone I know being able to call 0800 numbers for free from their cellphone and I certainly can't from my (contracted) Orange phone.

If you are going to compare, you must compare like for like.

I was doing - both the BT comparison and the NTL comparison I posted were taken from their official price lists and I wasn't mixing and matching tariffs.

and 0845 is generally better for people to call you on, becuase if your friends are miles away they can call you as a local number

Most telephone operators nolonger differentiate between local and national calls - all geographic calls within the UK are usually charged at the same rate these days.

if your friends are on mobiels then they can call your landline number

Doesn't this kind of defeat the whole point of the service if you have to keep switching back to your POTS line for certain calls?