cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plusnet user name visible

N/A

Hi
Just been to https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and the home page was able to tell me what my PlusNet user name was. Is this because Plus Net uses static IP's?
Is this a security risk, been reading up and it seems that it could make it easier for hackers. Can i use a dynamic IP? Will this stop the above site and others from knowing quite so much about me?
Thanks
Gary
Cheesy
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It's what has been assigned by default when someone does a revers DNS lookup on your IP address. It's not really a security risk but as you say it does maj=ke thibgs a little easier for anyone trying to get information on you or make up email addresses..

PlusNet don't offer dynamic IP addresses for ADSL connections, they do for 56K dialup only because you are allocated an IP address from a pool when you connect..

You can change what the rDNS gives via contact us ticket - I have changed it to report my IP address.plus.com instead of my name.

Contact us • Technical Support • Static IP / Reverse DNS Setup (read the page there) • Change my Reverse DNS (PTR) configuration (read the options on the page) then detail what you want to do in the box.

It will take approx 24 hours to change.
N/A

Hi
Many thanks again for your help, i have just posted a ticket with my request.
Cheers
Gary