cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone & broadband

kenny
Grafter

phone & broadband

I`m going to take the plunge and have all my broadband/landline/phone all with F9. At the moment my broadband is with F9,line rental with BT and outgoing calls through first:telecom.

Do I have to inform BT and or first:telecom of me doing this.
My bills are all upto date (direct debit). I want to use the same number.
16 REPLIES
Plusnet Leader
Plusnet Leader

phone & broadband

If you sign up for homephone via the portal we will contact BT and take care of everything Cheesy

The process takes about 2 weeks to complete and from then on all your phone bills will be through F9.

Hope this helps.
kenny
Grafter

phone & broadband

If you sign up for homephone via the portal we will contact BT and take care of everything Cheesy

The process takes about 2 weeks to complete and from then on all your phone bills will be through F9.

Hope this helps.

it was just the first:telecom bit will they know auto` or do I tell them, as all my out going calls go through them not BT
Plusnet Leader
Plusnet Leader

phone & broadband

You don't necessarily have to contact them. We will take care of moving everything across to F9.

You might want to give them a quick call to make sure they are aware that we will be moving the service and to make sure that they don't keep billing you Cheesy
kenny
Grafter

phone & broadband

You don't necessarily have to contact them. We will take care of moving everything across to F9.

You might want to give them a quick call to make sure they are aware that we will be moving the service and to make sure that they don't keep billing you Cheesy

OK will do I was going to let them know anyway (and will cancel my DD with them)

Thanks
N/A

Any feedback?

Hi Bigkenny

How have you got on with your switch to F9 all-in-one?

I am sure there are lots of other people like you who'd are wondering whether to go for the all-in-one service (including me) - could you do us a favour and let us know what you think so far? In fact, if anyone else would like to comment too...

Thanks
orrery
Grafter

phone & broadband

Having found F9's VOIP service the most unreliable I've ever used, I'd think very carefully first.

If you have a BT phone, then you have access to so many very low cost phone services that it would have to be a very special deal indeed to make me move away from having that flexibility and open market access.

regards, Ian
astarsolutions
Grafter

phone & broadband

F9 have 2 phone services, a normal one which this thread is about and their VoIP service which from my experience isn't very good.
With the tie up with BT I would expect them to use BT's service instead of trying to run their own; when I used to use it it was very good.
N/A

phone & broadband

what you have got to remmeber if you get a fault you cannot use BT faults number 151 to report it.

You have to go through F9 who then go to BT
BT then deal with the fault for F9.
F9 then come back to you.

So you have to rely on F9 and being able to get hold of them at odd hours in the day.

With BT they are open 24 hours a day and will try to fix the fault when you call them F9 wont

Puddy
N/A

phone & broadband

what you have got to remmeber if you get a fault you cannot use BT faults number 151 to report it.

You have to go through F9 who then go to BT
BT then deal with the fault for F9.
F9 then come back to you.

So you have to rely on F9 and being able to get hold of them at odd hours in the day.

With BT they are open 24 hours a day and will try to fix the fault when you call them F9 wont

Michael
N/A

Any more feedback?

Hi again,

Thanks for your thoughts. I hear what you're saying jillweekes, it could be very irritating to have a line problem and have to wait for F9 to ping pong back and forth. Not sure if this would affect me so much as I mainly use the phone during the day. Also I've never yet had any line faults on this phone... (touch wood, not wishing to incur the wrath of fate etc.). :shock:

I also understand the view that it would be good to stay with BT and have the flexibility to choose any low cost offer you want. However that's what I've been thinking for ages and not got anywhere as mixing and matching different services seems to be a lot of hassle and not that much cheaper in the long run. Particularly if you factor in your own time keeping track of potentially three different sets of services/paperwork.

I do like the f9 broadband service, it seems to be generally reliable and fast, I would be a bit wary of moving this to TalkTalk, Virgin or Orange.

So it seems to make the most sense to move the broadband/line rental/calls to the one f9 package - cheap and convenient - with the reliable broadband.

I am very tempted to go ahead, but haven't heard any feedback yet from anyone who is actually using the f9 line rental & calls package (NOTE "land line" NOT the curiously awful f9 VoIP service). BigKenny, you got any thoughts so far?

Cheers Wink

Andrew
N/A

phone & broadband

I posted earlier in this thread - I have Homephone Anytime and BB PAYG Option 1. Touch wood, everything is fine. I love the simplicity of just having the one bill, knowing exactly what I have to pay each month and being able to call people at any time of day. Downside is the limit of 1000 minutes but I have never exceeded this and you can pay for extra calls anyway. I put credit on the account every now and again for 08 and mobile numbers. For all this I am paying less now than I was 5 years ago with no broadband. Compared to last years abortive attempt to go with TalkTalk the connection has been trouble free. In fact I am now only paying about £3 a month more than the TT package so as I have a good service, it is money well spent. I have had several different telephone/Internet/call packages in the past but this is by far the best arrangement for me.
N/A

phone & broadband

Great, thanks Cairns16. That's what I was hoping to hear!

Cheesy
N/A

phone & broadband

why not use the voip phone side of things? You get free minutes excellent discount for oversea calls and a free line and new number. I am not talking about skype but a real sip voip connection. dont need to leave the computer on to make calls. With a draytek router you can have 2 lines routers but its not cheap from them. sip voip call are the same type of quality as BT now.

I use a speedtouch router direct from F9 less then £60 and its a 4 port and wireless and adsl 2+ so its future proof.

Or if you keep your BT line try 1899.co.uk free calls in the UK 24/7 (3p connection charge BT charge 5p per call) and cheap calls oversea. my BT bill used to be £70 a month now it line rental only and £5-7 with 1899.com you still keep you BT line and have to pay line rental to BT. The only reason is 0845 0870 calls are not free same as most telephone
companies.

1899 billings on line or via fax every month.

Michael
N/A

phone & broadband

Prior to changing to F9 for telephone service I too used 1899 for normal calls and 18185 for 08 and mobile numbers. I found that they were both good value but the company has raised their charges without informing the customers. When I left 1899 it had risen to 4p (still cheap) but the big bugbear was that you get charged even if you are not actually connected to the person you are calling. i.e. the charge is from when the operators voice comes on to tell you the price of the call. Therefore if the call is not answered, it is still charged. If, like me, you make frequent brief calls this all adds up and I am finding it cheaper with the F9 call package. Also, I don't have long strings of telephone numbers to dial and lots of separate bills.